Saturday, May 17, 2008

Fried Onion Rings (Page 552)

  • Date: Saturday, May 10, 2008 -- 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Matt, Angelica, and Ricky
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Mike, Ana, Craig, Grace, Alex, Gunther, Jenny, Vero, and Pam
  • Recipe Rating: A

Fried food seemed like a good choice for dipping in mayonnaise, so we made these onion rings to accompany the mayonnaise tasting last weekend. In summary: yum. Yum, yum, yum. These onion rings were very tasty. They were crispy and delicious, without being too heavily breaded. The onion was cooked just the right amount, and the breading was perfectly seasoned for maximum deliciousness. They were good. Everybody gave them A or B range grades, which in a group this large is pretty unusual. I like onion rings a lot in concept, but am often disappointed by the rings you get in a restaurant. These rings did not disappoint. They were spot on in terms of flavor, crispiness, and amount of breading. This recipe is definitely a keeper.

This recipe isn't online.

There are very rigid guidelines distinguishing how the grades for the recipes are supposed to be given. Grades of B+ and above are things I would make again. Grades of A- and above are things I would make again and serve to company. The grades B and B- are for things that I enjoyed eating but wouldn't make again. And C+ and below are various degrees of not wanting to eat it. To get a D or below it has to be something that I threw away rather than eating. The one distinction that I have struggled with coming up with a good guideline for is what distinguishes and A- from an A. The rule we used for a long time was that A recipes are something you would serve to someone you are trying to impress (i.e. your mother-in-law). That's not really the right distinction though. To be an A recipe it doesn't need to be impressive per se, but rather it should be craveable. It should be awe-inspiring. It should be truly delicious. The A recipes should be the ones where I look at the picture days, weeks, or months later and wish that I had some of that food in front of me! The A recipes should be the ones that I think of again and again. As long as I am a few days behind in my blogging, those criteria work pretty well. For instance, at the time I wasn't sure whether these onion rings should get an A- or an A, but all week I have been thinking, "Man, I wish I had some more of those onion rings." That is the sign of an A recipe!

4 comments:

MuiMui said...

They look really great!!

Teena said...

Thanks! They were indeed delicious!

CMM said...

What is the recipe? What type of oil did you use for frying?

Teena said...

The recipe is simple. Take a big onion, slice it crosswise into 1/4 inch slices. Separate the slices into rings. Dip the rings first in milk, then in flour seasoned with salt, then milk again, then the flour again, and then fry in 370 degree oil until golden, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

I just used regular old Wesson brand vegetable oil and that worked just fine.