Friday, May 23, 2008

Poblano Strips with Onion and Cream (Page 559)

  • Date: Saturday, May 17, 2008 -- 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Yano, Irene, Phil O, Ben W, and Alp
  • Recipe Rating: B


Occasionally when planning a meal, I don't think too clearly about the possibility of ingredient overkill. A couple years ago, making dinner for my family, I made a meal that contained both risotto and rice pudding. So, after eating a heavy meal of risotto and braised beef, I brought out this big dish of rice pudding. My brother gave me a look that said, "Rice pudding after risotto? Really?" I suffered from that syndrome a bit when I planned this meal too. I chose this recipe as a side dish with dinner on Saturday because it was consistent with the Mexican food theme, but I ignored the fact that the soup was also based around rajas (i.e. roasted poblano peppers). All together there were three pounds of poblanos in this meal, which may have been overkill! Oh well -- at least I like rajas!

This dish was very simple. The poblano peppers were first roasted over gas burners and then peeled. (Note: the poblano peppers can be roasted and peeled a few days ahead and refrigerated until they are needed. This is very convenient. However, if you roast the peppers at 7:30am on a Saturday morning, with 4 burners going at once, and manage to set off the smoke alarm, waking your loved one who is still sleeping, he might consider finding a new loved one... The fact that your loved one responded to said smoke alarm by putting a pillow over his head rather than inquiring as to the well-being of you, the apartment, or the food, might make you consider finding a new loved one!) After peeling and slicing the roasted poblanos they are cooked with onions and finished with a bit of crema. It's as simple as that. The flavor of this dish was very nice -- the combination of the crema with the roasted peppers was appealing. My one complaint is that the poblanos weren't quite as cooked as I would have liked. They were still very crunchy. They would have been more delicious had they been slightly more tender. Overall though, it was a tasty side dish, and complemented the meal well.

The recipe in The Book is the same as this one, except the one in The Book lists crema, creme fraiche, or heavy cream rather than just creme fraiche or heavy cream.

No comments: