Tuesday, May 20, 2008

All-Occasion Yellow Cake (Page 724)

  • Date: Saturday, May 10, 2008 -- 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Ricky
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Matt, Mike, Ana, Craig, Grace, Alex, Gunther, Angelica, Jenny, Vero, and Pam
  • Recipe Rating: B-

This is the last of the 14 recipes that we made for the mayonnaise tasting last weekend! The Book promised that this cake would become a staple in my household. It promised to be the be all end all of yellow cake -- just as easy as a cake mix and much more delicious. In reality, it was just ok. The flavor was fine, although a touch bland. But the texture was too dry. It might have been good split into layers and filling with a moist filling (maybe also soaked with a flavored soaking syrup), but just plain, with frosting, it was not top notch. Everyone agreed that it pretty mediocre. It was certainly not a recipe that I will make again and again. There are better yellow cake recipes out there!

Here is the recipe for the cake (without the frosting).

Tomorrow I am off to Chicago, and despite my best intentions of getting everything done that I wanted to before my trip, I still have a huge to do list in front of me! None of the things left on the list are absolutely essential, so however much I get done will just have to do. My trip to Chicago has two fun purposes! The first few days I will be staying with Vigleik and Shihchi, which is always a good time. V and I have been working on a joint project for some time now, so we are getting together and work. Then, on Saturday I am going to Deniz's bridal shower and her bachelorette party! I am very much looking forward to it!

The only aspect of the weekend that I am not looking forward to is the traveling. I haven't flown in over a month now (can you believe it!), and I have been very much enjoying a leisurely, air-travel free lifestyle. Oh well. It had to end eventually!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Hi - I like the concept of your blog and look forward to making recipes. You may be interested in reading My Life in France by Julia Child, which explains how she got into cooking. Your blog reminds me of this book, which is one of my favorites.

Teena said...

Thanks for the recommendation! I haven't read that, but I am definitely interested... I'll put that at the top of my reading list!