Saturday, May 03, 2008

Snowballs (Page 675)

  • Date: Thursday, May 1, 2008 -- 6pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Brad, and Deniz
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I put off making these cookies for a while because I couldn't find unsweetened flaked coconut. Finally I located some though, so I threw together these cookies before I left Bloomington for the summer. They were pretty good. They tasted like the typical yummy coconut snowballs that I love, with the slight twist that they had a nugget of chocolate in the middle. They were quick and easy to make and came out very pretty. I thought they had a very slightly strange flavor to them, but I couldn't identify what it was. I still enjoyed them quite a bit though. Matty described them as, "heavenly." Brad and Deniz also seemed to enjoy them -- we ate more of them than we probably should have last night. These cookies are a simple, yummy treat for a coconut lover.

Here is the recipe.

Matty and I were in Chicago this morning, making a little pit stop at the Midwest Topology Conference on our drive to Boston. We didn't make it to the conference though -- my mom called early in the morning to tell me that my grandmother had a bleed in her brain and had gone into a coma.

So we are in Wisconsin now, in my grandmother's room in the ICU. I have a big extended family, and almost everyone is here. She is hanging on -- her vitals are stable, but she isn't expected to come out of the coma. The doctor expected her to pass this morning, but now it seems like she might make it until tonight. I feel fortunate that I am able to be here, surrounded by family during this time. No one expected this to happen right now, but it may be for the best... her mental and physical health has been declining for the last couple years.

Probably there will be no posts from me for a couple days... I can't imagine I will be doing a lot of cooking.

5 comments:

Magdalen said...

Teena -- I am so sorry about your grandmother. I hope she's comfortable, and that your whole family is remembering her the way she'd want.

I'm embarrassed even to comment on coconut at a time like this, but still... Unsweetened coconut was a puzzle for me too, until I found it frozen in the specialty Mexican foods section. (Goya? I think so, but I still have some upstairs, so if you need a brand name, let me know.)

ana rita said...

a hug out to you

M & M said...

Teena,
You do have a big, beautiful, connected family. I'm glad you're there with your beloveds for your grandmother. We're all thinking of you - and sending lots of hugs.
Meghan and the "crew"

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. My thoughts are with you and your family. The one good thing is that you are there with everyone.

I was just stopping by to welcome you to the Foodie Blogroll.

Teena said...

Thanks for all the support! You guys are so sweet!