Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Horseradish Mayonnaise (Page 886)

  • Date: Saturday, May 10, 2008 -- 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Mike, Matt, Ricky, Ana, Craig, Grace, Alex, Gunther, Angelica, Jenny, Vero, and Pam
  • Recipe Rating: C

This was another one of the many mayonnaises offered at the mayo tasting on Saturday. This was definitely one of my least favorites. There were two substantial problems with this mayonnaise: the flavor and the texture. First, let's discuss the flavor. I can see adding a bit of horseradish to some mayo to give it a little kick, but adding pimiento-stuffed green olives too? Why? Why would you do that? The olive flavor was no good with the horseradish mayo, and the horseradish flavor was a bit too strong. A more serious problem was the texture though. Bottled horseradish, even drained, is liquidy. This mayo had a nice texture to it before the horseradish was added, but after it was much too runny. In texture and flavor it seemed much more like a horseradish sauce than a horseradish-flavored mayo. It wasn't awful, but I certainly wasn't eager to eat more of it either. The general consensus on this one was that it was not-so-good. (NOTE: We had so many different sauces on Saturday that we had to label them all so that we knew what we were eating. Angelica made the little signs, like the one in the picture above. Cute, no?)

This recipe is not online.

It has been crazy around the MIT math department since I have been back. I expect, when I come back here, to see lots of MIT friends I haven't seen in a while, but this time I have been shocked by how many people are here that don't usually live in Boston. In the past week I have seen (with their usual residences): Mike (Virginia), Soren (California), Elke (Germany), Chris (California), Nora (Maine), Robert (New York), and the list goes on... it has been crazy around here! With both MIT and Harvard here, Boston is a hub for theoretical mathematics. So you can count on a lot of people coming through MIT at various times, but usually not all at once! I haven't even had a chance yet to catch-up with many of my friends who actually live here because I have been busy catching up with the people visiting! The semester ends soon at MIT though, so I would imagine after that things will settle down a bit. In the meantime: busy, busy. It has been so busy in fact that I am definitely under-quota on time spent hanging out with just my special gentleman friend. Fortunately, though, we have the whole summer to do that!

No comments: