Sunday, August 08, 2010

Fried Zucchini Blossoms (Page 43)

RECIPE #1191

  • Date: Thursday, July 15, 2010 -- 7pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our New House
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+

Zucchini blossom season arrived and I figured I would make this recipe before it passed! Despite it being the season, I had trouble finding zucchini blossoms. None of the local grocery stores had them, nor did the biggest farmer's market around. I am determined to finish this project in 2010 though, so I had to get my hands on some before the season passed! Finally I decided I would just order them. They are highly perishable, so they had to be shipped overnight. As you can imagine, they weren't the cheapest zucchini blossoms I have ever purchased. Then, just two days after making this recipe we were in Pennsylvania visiting Melanie and Daniel. Mel was giving us a tour of her garden and we looked down to see zucchini blossoms everywhere! She would have been happy to give us some for free! Oh well. This recipe was super simple. The blossoms were dipped in a batter of flour, beer, and salt and then deep-fried. I then sprinkled them with salt and served. They were tasty. My special gentleman had never eaten zucchini blossoms before and he was a little weirded out by their texture, but once he got past that he agreed that they were good. Mmmmm... deep-fried flowers!

The recipe is here.

There have been some big changes in our lives these last few days! In particular, yesterday we went out to run some afternoon errands and ended up adopting two kittens! It was really the culmination of months of discussion, but I think neither of us imagined adopting them so soon. Certainly yesterday morning I had no idea we would have two kittens by the end of the day. But they are so sweet and we are so happy to have them.

Their names are Thumbs and Feet. Thumbs is the littler of the two. He is very little -- weighing in at 1 pound 11 ounces. He was apparently rescued from a meth lab (or something like that), horribly malnourished, and has been in kitty foster care for a few months. He got his name because he is polydactyl -- he has more toes than he should. So his paws look like they have big thumbs on them. Totally adorable! He is incredibly sweet and incredibly scared of everything. He spent much of yesterday evening hiding behind the washer and dryer and meowing. He was doing much, much better today though! Here's a picture of me with Thumbs, shortly after we brought him home.

Our other new kitty, Feet (named because he LOVES to "hunt" my special gentleman's feet, and then snuggle with them), is also super affectionate. He's about three and a half months old, and definitely more adventurous than Thumbs. Thumbs wants to be friends with Feet so badly, but Feet just barely tolerates the little guy (in typical older sibling fashion). The two aren't from the same litter, or even the same foster home, so they are still adjusting to one another. Thumbs tries very hard -- waiting until Feet is asleep before snuggling up next to him. As much as Feet protests, it is evident that he secretly likes the little guy. Feet is much bolder and will often walk around the house with Thumbs in tow, showing him the ropes. Here's a picture of the two of them together, playing with some yarn.

I admit, I have been all along rather neutral on the idea of getting a cat. I was neither super-excited about it, nor opposed to the idea. My special gentleman has always wanted a cat though, so I thought we should do it. He is absolutely in heaven with our two kitties, and I already love them to pieces.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

This post makes me triply jealous! I love Zucchini blossoms *and* kittens!

April Laugh said...

i'm starving already

Teena said...

:) Yeah, the zucchini blossoms were tasty and the kitties are super sweet!