Friday, August 13, 2010

Green Goddess Dressing (Page 173)

RECIPE # 1194

  • Date: Monday, August 2, 2010 -- 7pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our New House
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: C+


A strange thing happened a couple weeks ago. My special gentleman and I were eating dinner and discussing how many recipes were left from various sections of The Book. I was looking at the progress bars at the bottom of the Project Index and I noted that I still had 5 recipe left in the Salads section. My special gentleman asked me what they were, and I could only name 4 off the top of my head. At this point I can easily name most of the 100 recipes I have left to make, so I was confused that I couldn't think of the fifth recipe. I pulled out The Book and flipped through the Salads section. When I finish a recipe I check it off in The Book. So I counted the recipes without check marks in the section and there were only 4. Baffled, I went through the recipes one by one and verified that the only things checked off were things I had actually made. The check marks seemed correct. Totally confused, I compared the recipes that I had blogged about to the recipes in the section and I discovered the one that was missing. I hadn't blogged about the Green Goddess Dressing. I was positive, POSITIVE that I had made it, but I couldn't remember when, where, or with whom. I flipped through some pictures on my computer until I found a green dressing. I briefly thought the mystery had been solved, until I realized that the green dressing in the picture was the Herbed Buttermilk Dressing. Slowly I became less sure that I had already made this recipe. So I decided to make it again (or, perhaps, for the first time).

To make this dressing my special gentleman and I blended together mayonnaise, anchovy fillets, scallions, parsley, chives, tarragon, tarragon vinegar, salt, and pepper. That was it! Whether or not I had made it before I was very grateful to have such an easy recipe left in my final 100. This dressing was not very tasty though. I had hoped that it would be very herbaceous, with a hint of anchovy. Instead it tasted like mayo with anchovies mixed in. Lots of anchovies. The herb flavors were lost. My special gentleman and I were both quite disappointed.

So had I made it before? Now that I have eaten it, I think maybe not. How did it get checked off in not just one, but three copies of The Book? (Yes, I have three copies of The Book.) I'm not sure. The whole experience made me glad that I have the Project Index though to keep me honest. Without it, I may have finished the project having accidentally skipped one recipe!

The recipe is here.

Only 99 recipes to go!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

How disappointing! I've heard people sing the praises of Green Goddess dressing as if it hung the moon but I guess I won't be using the version to try it :/

Teena said...

Well we certainly weren't loving it. I would try another Green Goddess recipe if I were you.