Monday, September 06, 2010

Barbecued Chile-Marinated Spareribs (Page 490)

RECIPE #1206

  • Date: Sunday, August 29, 2010 -- 6pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our House
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Bob, Laura, Corbett, Mary, Allison, Helen, Charles, and Clara
  • Recipe Rating: B+

My special gentleman and I both love ribs so the only reason I hadn't made this recipe already was that until very recently we didn't own a grill. We bought one a couple weeks ago, and this was the very first thing we made with it! I started by simmering the ribs on the stovetop. Meanwhile, I blended together dried New Mexico chiles, boiling water, ketchup, garlic, cider vinegar, brown sugar, salt, tequila, vegetable oil, cumin, and allspice. I reserved some of this to baste with, another bit of it for dipping sauce, and used the rest as a marinade. I marinaded the ribs overnight in the sauce. Then my special gentleman grilled them to perfection, basting with some of the reserved sauce. I then cut the racks up into smaller pieces and served them with the dipping sauce. These ribs were pretty good. In fact, I liked them a lot. They just weren't as good as the other ribs in The Book! For instance, both the Chinese-Hawaiian "Barbequed" Ribs and the Paprika-Glazed Baby Back Ribs were better than these. The difference, I think, was that those recipes produced slightly more tender ribs than this recipe did. I also thought the sauces in the other recipes were more interesting, although I liked the chile sauce in this recipe as well! I would definitely eat these ribs again, but I wouldn't choose to make this recipe over some of the other tasty rib options available in The Book.

Only 87 recipes left to go!

The first week of the semester was exhausting. There were several days that within 10 minutes of getting home from work I was looking like this:

So I was ready for a long weekend! We didn't make any Labor Day weekend plans, as we knew we would still be adjusting to the start of the semester and would need all the extra time we could get. The weekend turned out really lovely. On Saturday after my morning run I drove over to Ann Arbor to grocery shop for my project. Ann Arbor has things East Lansing doesn't have (seafood for instance), so I came back with several bags of goodies -- clams, mussels, veal chops, etc... Not long after getting back from my lengthy grocery trip, I got a phone call from my friends Mike and Andrew. They were driving from a conference in Toronto back to Bloomington, Indiana. East Lansing was right on their way so they stopped by to visit, which was awesome! After they had to hit the road again my special gentleman and I prepared a somewhat questionable seafood dinner then walked to our neighborhood coffee shop for some delicious hot chocolate.

On Sunday morning we went to church. We have been talking about trying to find a church here for a while now, but we hadn't yet mobilized to do it. This weekend we finally got our act together and went to one we have been eying. We absolutely loved it! The pastor was extremely articulate and obviously super intelligent. The congregation was beyond welcoming. The message was very inclusive. And in a way I can't describe, it just felt like a good fit for us. Plus, the church is just a short walk from our house, which is an added bonus. We will certainly return. I spent the rest of the day yesterday running, running errands, and cooking. Today I celebrated labor day by going in to the office! I had a lot I needed to get done so taking the day totally off wasn't really an option, but I did stay home until 11am which felt luxurious! I had a nice, quiet day at the office, alternating between getting work done and decorating my office a bit. Then this evening I taught my special gentleman to make risotto while I made veal chops, and the results were extremely delicious. We sat down to a really wonderful dinner and a bottle of white wine. Lovely!

What a nice weekend!

2 comments:

Deniz said...

I heart the photo of you spooning the kitty. Adorable!

Teena said...

Thanks! He is growing so fast now -- I can already tell that I am going to miss having him be so tiny!