Monday, July 30, 2007

Chinese-Hawaiian "Barbequed" Ribs (Page 491)

  • Date: Thursday, July 26, 2007 -- 7:30pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Rachel and Mike
  • Recipe Rating: A


I picked these ribs because they are one of a very small number of Hawaiian dishes in The Book, and I was looking for something to go with the Hawaiian Chicken Long Rice. These ribs were AWESOME! Like any slow-roasted pork, the meat was tender and delicious. But it was really the sauce that made the dish. This sauce, composed of items you probably have in your refrigerator/pantry (sugar, soy sauce, ketchup, sherry, garlic, ginger, salt...), was incredible. It was flavorful, tangy, perfectly seasoned, and it became deliciously gooey and browned on the ribs. It was delicious! I made a stupid mistake when I made these -- the ribs were stacked when I bought them, and really stuck together, so somehow I didn't realize until after they were cooked that I had two big racks instead of one. The net result of this was that only one rack got basted (the one on top). So we boiled down the extra basting sauce and used it as a dipping sauce for the not-basted ribs. Also delicious! The point: you can't go wrong with this recipe. I highly, highly recommend this one. If you like ribs at all you will love these!

Lucky for you, here is the recipe.

It's so nice housesitting out in Southborough. My day today: woke up, did some work and administrative stuff for moving, ate lunch, went to the grocery store, more work, swam in the pool, sat in the hot tub, made dinner in a big fancy kitchen... It was completely lovely. Being out here, it is almost possible to forget about all the packing I have left to do! It's also so nice to have all sorts of fun things I don't have in my apartment: a dishwasher, a swimming pool, a hot tub, a cat, a king-size bed, two ovens, cable TV, lots of space, etc... Although I'm sure I will never own a house as big and fancy as this one, I am looking forward to someday having a house. And a backyard. And maybe even a hot tub! In the meantime, I can occasionally housesit for people who do, and live the life of luxury, however temporary!

No comments: