Sunday, July 08, 2007

Almond Flan with Summer Fruit (Page 834)

  • Date: Monday, June 18, 2007 --8:30pm
  • Location: Charlottesville, VA
  • Kitchen: Mike's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Tom, and Ashley
  • Recipe Rating: A


I picked this recipe because flan seemed like the right dessert to pair with fish tacos. Truth be told, I usually don't like flan. It is very near the bottom of my list of preferred desserts. I never make it, and I rarely eat it. So I approached this recipe with a bad attitude. I will admit though: I was wrong to be crabby about this flan recipe. It was amazing! My usual flan complaints are that the texture can be very gelatinous and unappealing, and the flavor is often overwhelmingly eggy. This flan suffered from no such problems. The texture was smooth and lovely, the flavor had just the right amount of egg, complemented by a hint of almond, and the caramel topping was delicious! It also looked beautiful when it came out of the pan, and sliced very nicely. This recipe was a winner. Everyone at dinner loved it!

I am sad to say that this recipe does not appear online.

This past week has been full of parties or big social gatherings (every day since Tuesday!), so I am very much enjoying the peacefulness of this Sunday morning. I wish I were better able to motivate to wake up early in the morning. It is such a lovely feeling to be awake when things are wonderfully still. There aren't cars tearing down the street, or people yelling outside. Everything is just quiet, save the noise of some birds and barking dogs. Plus, morning has such an air of optimism to it. I just love it. The problem is that in order to find that silent, still place on a weekday morning, you need to be awake much earlier than I can manage to be most days. But Sundays are still at luxurious hour of 8am. And so I can wake up, take a look outside, and make breakfast in my pajamas, all while enjoying the wonderful feeling of early morning.

1 comment:

Elliott said...

I have the original recipe from Gourmet in 1989, do you want a copy?