Sunday, July 29, 2007

Chicken Long Rice (Page 247)

  • Date: Thursday, July 26, 2007 -- 7:30pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Rachel
  • Dining Companions: Matty and Mike
  • Recipe Rating: A-


This one came off the list generated by the random number generator. I found it to be quite tasty. This Hawaiian dish consisted of pieces of chicken added to rice vermicelli soaked in a chicken-ginger-mushroom broth. I am always a fan of dishes in this genre: shredded meat with brothy noodles. The noodles came out very flavorful. The ginger was subtle but present and the fresh chicken broth gave the noodles some depth. My only complaint is that the dish was a little salty (probably from the addition of bouillon to the broth). Oddly, although Rachel agreed with me that it was too salty, Mike thought it wasn't salty enough. I can offer no explanation for that. Salt issues aside, it was delicious, and I would definitely make this dish again.

Here is the recipe.

Today was my last day working the Sunday lunch shift at the homeless shelter. I have been volunteering there every Sunday for almost 3 years now. Many of the people on my shift have become good friends of mine, and I will miss both them, and the opportunity to cook and serve lunch each week to the wonderful community of women who come to the shelter.

Although the staff at the shelter and my fellow volunteers knew I was moving soon, I hadn't mentioned to any of them that today would be my last day. I told Danielle last night over dinner though, so this morning word got out rapidly. I find goodbyes very difficult, and in many cases I would rather just slip out without saying anything. That is, of course, terribly rude, and especially unpleasant for those people who like goodbyes, and think they are important. The thing is, I just never know what to say, especially with people who are important to me. I always want to tell people how they have helped me, or inspired me, or enriched my life. But it's not easy, in that moment, to say anything coherent to that effect. So inevitably I always end up saying something stupid: "Goodbye. I hope I see you again soon," when really what I mean is, "Thank you so much for being in my life." Add to that that I am perpetually in a state of denial about the possibility that I might not see people again, or not for a long time, and it makes the goodbye process a little daunting.

In any event, I said my goodbyes at Rosie's today, and I will continue to say them to a variety of people in Boston over the next few weeks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would just like to point out that when you call me a "Fellow Chef" that means I shredded the already-cooked chicken, and for the carrot dressing, peeled the carrots...I'm not sure I'd consider that a real contribution. A better title would be "Kept you company in the kitchen"...Just don't want to take credit for our yummy dinner!! Rachel

Teena said...

Oh, don't listen to her -- she totally helped!