Thursday, July 05, 2007

Avocado and Tropical Fruit Salsa (Page 296)

  • Monday, June 18, 2007 --7pm
  • Location: Charlottesville, VA
  • Kitchen: Mike's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Tom, and Ashley
  • Recipe Rating: A


This salsa accompanied some fish tacos that we had for dinner a few weeks ago. It was excellent! From the various tropical fruit options listed, I used golden kiwis and mango, which were absolutely perfect with the avocado and remaining ingredients. The fruit gave this salsa a lovely sweetness, while the red onion and jalapeno gave it some savoriness and spice. It was absolutely wonderful on the fish tacos, but I think it would be great with any seafood, or on chips, or, frankly, by the spoonful! I highly recommend this recipe. It was quick to make and really came together beautifully. Definitely a case of the end product being more than the sum of its parts.

Here is the recipe.

I don't think I saw a single firework yesterday, but I still had a nice Fourth of July. I made a big breakfast and then went to the homeless shelter for lunch, where I cooked 240 hamburgers! Andy, who was supervising the meal, put me in charge of those burgers and I took my job very seriously! The cookout at the shelter was really nice -- very traditional: burgers, hot dogs, potato salad, corn on the cob, salad, watermelon, and ice cream sandwiches. The weather was beautiful (at least for that part of the day) and everyone seemed to have a great time!

Later in the afternoon I went with a friend to Walden Pond. It was a bit dramatic. He was running laps around the pond (which is about 2 miles around) and I was walking. At some point we concocted this elaborate plan on how to meet up. But then it started to pour and we both deviated from the plan in ways that were completely logical, but whose success depended on the other person not deviating. So basically we ended up unable to find each other for 45 minutes, standing/walking/running in the rain, both worried that something horrible had happened to the other person. In the end it was fine though - we were drenched, but it's beautiful out there, and it was still a good time.

No comments: