Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Cherry Clafouti (Page 817)

  • Date: Thursday, July 26, 2007 -- 9:30pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Matty and Rachel
  • Dining Companion: Mike
  • Recipe Rating: A-


Since I now have all those sour cherries in the freezer I am excited to use them, so I picked this recipe for dessert last week. It was quite good. The texture was perfect for a clafouti: somewhere between a custard and a pancake. The bursts of sour cherry flavor were lovely. The batter had a bit of kirsch in it, presumably to tie it together to the cherries, but it was so subtle that it was borderline undetectable. If I make this one again I will up the kirsch a bit. The dessert was satisfying without being too sweet (Mike thought it wasn't sweet enough -- he thought it would have been better with sweet cherries). I liked it just as it was. All four of us went back for seconds (or thirds!), and we ended up finishing the whole thing off. It was a perfect end to a summer meal! If you can't find sour cherries, you could easily substitute one of a whole variety of fruits for the cherries and still get something delicious (blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, etc.... yum!).

Sadly, there is no recipe for this one online.

The first time I ever had a clafouti was in Los Angeles. I was there with a friend, visiting a friend of his (this story isn't terribly flattering, so I'll rename everyone). The friend of a friend, we'll call him Bob, liked to cook a lot, so my friend, we'll call him Joe Bob, thought that he and I would get along fabulously. Our first morning there we went to the farmers' market and picked up many beautiful blackberries. When we returned to Bob's apartment he suggested we make a clafouti with them. He didn't want any help from me or Joe Bob, but we milled around the kitchen while he threw together the blackberry clafouti. I asked Bob about his interest in cooking and he told me that his specialty was Italian food. I responded by asking if he had made a lot of gnocchi, mentioning that although I had tried several different recipes I had yet to find the perfect gnocchi. His response:
"Well I have a great recipe, but it would be much too difficult for you. I don't know of any good gnocchi recipes that you would be able to make."

Oh. That ended that conversation. When the clafouti came out of the oven I ate my piece in silence. I am happy to say that this clafouti was much better than his. Maybe I should send him the recipe with a note, "Thought that this recipe was an improvement over the one you have. I hope it's not much too difficult for you! Best, Teena"

2 comments:

vero said...

My grandma once gave me a recipe and told me "This recipe is so easy, even YOU would be able make it!" My first instinct was to be insulted. But then I realized she was right : I wouldn't be able to make a tenth of the things she made.

She was the type of person that considers European flour and North american flour has different ingredients! She would travel everywhere with Canadian flour in her suitcase. I can imagine her trying to explain this to the customs!

Teena said...

Wow, that's some serious dedication!