Saturday, July 07, 2007

Fish in Crispy Tacos with Avocado and Tropical Fruit Salsa (Page 295)

  • Date: Monday, June 18, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Charlottesville, VA
  • Kitchen: Mike's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Tom, and Ashley
  • Recipe Rating: A-


I actually picked these tacos because we had a bunch of avocados in the fridge that we needed to use up before they rotted (I know, I know, what a problem to have!). These tacos were delicious! There was no red snapper to be found, so we used some beautiful grouper. The fish had a great flavor, and the salsa was amazing (see post below). It all sat on deep-fried tortillas topped with a bed of arugula salad dressed with a simple lime dressing. The only complaint anyone could come up with was that it was difficult to eat gracefully. That may have been user error though. The directions were a bit unclear to me, as they call for you to deep fry "taco shells" to make the base for this dish. It occurred to me that this meant that I was supposed to buy the folded corn taco shells and use those, which would have been easier to eat. But those are already deep fried, so why would you deep fry them again? This confusion led me to buy corn tortillas and fry them up. They tasted great, but the flat shape did make the tacos hard to eat. It was a small price to pay though for a great entree!

Here is the recipe.

I am exhausted on this late Friday night. This morning was my annual MRI exam. It was uneventful, but I always find it exhausting nonetheless. It seems like laying still for an hour wouldn't be tiring, but somehow laying still for an hour in a very small space that shakes and makes incredible amounts of noise is not so relaxing! I also feel extra unsettled by the metal contrast they shoot in your veins. The first time I had the MRI with the contrast agent, the technician who was giving me the injection said, "Don't worry, it's safe. It's an element." I found that not-so-comforting. Now, every time I have that injection of contrast in my arm I think about that comment. I also made the mistake that first time of saying that I felt weird after they injected the contrast. All I had meant was that I could feel the cold liquid moving up my arm. Apparently though some small percentage of people are fatally allergic to the stuff they use, so when I said that the technician completely freaked out. Now I am much more careful about my choice of words!

Anyway, MRI day is admittedly not my favorite part of the year, but it's over now. Results next week!

No comments: