Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Marion Cunnngham's Raw Apple Muffins (Page 641)

  • Date: Sunday, July 1, 2007 -- 2am
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty and Mike
  • Recipe Rating: A


I had to stay awake really late one night, and I figured the best way to prevent myself from falling asleep was to do a little baking! These muffins were awesome! Just reading the recipe they didn't sound too inspired, but they came out perfect. They were fantastically moist, and had wonderful chunks of apple. The raisins and walnuts were in the exact right quantity, and added a lot to the muffins. The spicing was also spot on. The muffins weren't too heavy, or too sweet. It was an ideal recipe for this type of muffin. They stayed moist and delicious for days, which is a lovely quality in a baked good. The next time I am in need of an apple muffin I will definitely be making this recipe again.

Sadly, this recipe does not appear online.

Well, I went to the doctor today to get the results of my MRI from last week. Fortunately, everything is looking ok! My tumor (Bessie -- that's what I named her -- it's a joke, but I am not going to explain it) isn't taking up any more space in my brain than she was last year at this time. So that's good. It was my last visit with my tumor doctor before I move away and find a new doctor. As I was leaving he said, "Well, it's been a pleasure. You are a very low-maintenance patient." I wasn't sure how to translate or respond to that. Was the content of that comment, "Thanks for not bugging me too much with questions," or "Thanks for not having more serious medical problems."? It's a mystery.

It made me feel strangely nostalgic though, realizing it was the last time I would sit in his huge office and stare at the tropical fish, while he drew pictures and explained to me for the nth time the various risks I should avoid. I don't particularly like it there, sitting in his office, but it's one of those things that I had classified as just part of my ordinary life. It didn't occur to me until today that this would be the last time, and I would have to find new tropical fish to stare at.

No comments: