Saturday, July 28, 2007

Carrot Ginger Dressing (Page 171)

  • Date: Thursday, July 26, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Fellow Chef: Rachel
  • Dining Companions: Matty and Mike
  • Recipe Rating: C+


I chose this recipe because it seemed like it might go well with our Asian/Hawaiian themed meal on Thursday. This typical Japanese dressing can be very good, but in this particular manifestation it just wasn't. It had two major problems: flavor and texture. The flavor was shockingly bland given the flavorful, delicious ingredients that went into it: carrots, ginger, shallots, rice vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce, etc... I think it was a salt issue. Salt brings out the flavor in the food, and this dressing didn't call for any. Obviously soy sauce is salty, but usually a recipe would at least call for the dressing to be seasoned with salt at the end. To be faithful to the recipe I didn't do it, but I regretted it -- the dressing was bland. The texture was also quite disappointing. This recipe used both the food processor and the blender, with the promise that the two appliances together would produce the perfect texture. Not so. Despite plenty of time in both, it was thick and chunky and unappealing. Matt also made the correct observation that it would have been much better had it been chilled before serving. Overall, this recipe did not do justice to carrot ginger dressing.

The recipe in The Book is the same as this one, except that the one in The Book leaves out the salt.

After having an excellent dinner of Venezuelan food in the South End, I am now out in Southborough, house/cat-sitting for Richard and Anita. It's peaceful out here -- well relatively peaceful anyway. Coda, the cat, is walking back and forth on my lap, between me and my computer. Trying to convince her to sit down isn't always so effective... Coda is a good cat though, affectionate and easy to take care of. She has now abandoned me to sit with my friend on a different sofa and she is purring so loudly I can hear her across the room.

I haven't been out here since the week of Michael's funeral, and it brings back a lot of memories. I sat next to Michael on this sofa so many times, drinking tea and talking. I miss her deeply, and find myself thinking about her very often.

No comments: