Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Collard Greens Miniera (Page 540)

  • Date: Monday, June 18, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Charlottesville, VA
  • Kitchen: Mike's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Tom and Ashley
  • Recipe Rating: B-


I can't really recall what the logic was behind this choice of side dish. These greens weren't great. Truth be told, I don't particularly like collard greens. But, Tom and Ashley do, and they agreed that this dish wasn't so good, so it isn't just my personal bias talking. Typical preparations of collard greens call for them to be cooked for a long time -- on the order of an hour. In this recipe the greens were cooked for one minute. Seriously, one minute. They were cut in a fine chiffonade to minimize the toughness of the greens. I respected that the greens still had some integrity to them because of the short cooking time, but they also had a strong (arguably unpleasant) bite. The bacon helped a bit, but the greens were cooked so briefly in the bacon fat that they didn't pick up too much bacon flavor. I certainly wouldn't make this dish again, but someone more excited about bitter greens might have enjoyed it more than I did.

Here is the recipe.

My roommate for the summer is presently cleaning like a madman. I am sitting here, typing, having nothing to do with it. I certainly clean, but when the vacuum comes out, I put in earplugs and retreat.

I think I have some sort of post-traumatic stress associated to the vacuum cleaner. Anyone who knows my mother knows that she is more than a little tidy. The woman LOVES to clean. She vacuums every day -- sometimes twice, and when I was growing up it was often rather early in the morning. So I have, in my life, been awoken out of a dead sleep many times by the sound of the vacuum cleaner. On occasion she would even vacuum my room with me still asleep in it. To this day I can't stand the sound of the vacuum. I have been fortunate enough to live in apartments with all hardwood flooring for years now, where it is possible to clean without one.

But sitting here now, surrounded by the sound of the vacuum and the smell of cleaning products, I feel as though I am young, at home in my parents' house. The loud noise and chemical odor make it hard to feel too pleasantly nostalgic though...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your mother should talk to MatjaĆŸ's grandmother. She once used scrip in a concentration camp to get soap rather than food.

Teena said...

Wow, that's even more extreme than the things my mom does!

Erin said...

Saw this collard greens recipe on the Create channel...link to http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/diaryofafoodie/2007/01/collardgreens Looks like the same recipe. By your photo and your description, it didn't look anything like the collard greens on the show. The comment made on the show was, "you've married a good Brazialian wife if she knows how to properly prepare collard greens." They were referring to how thin the greens are cut. Cut them VERY thin. They looked almost paper thin on the show. They are meant to taste light and airy with just a hint of crispness from the deep frying in the bacon fat. I haven't tried it yet...just telling you what I saw. They paired it with this recipe http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/adventureswithruth/2009/10/pork-villa-rica-style

Enjoy