Sunday, July 08, 2007

Lemon Syrup (Page 739)

  • Date: Saturday, June 23, 2007 -- 4pm
  • Location: Southborough, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Chris, Richard, Anita, Richard H, Jack, Teri, Terry, Ephraim, Emilee, Marco, John, Mike, Tim, and many, many others...
  • Recipe Rating: B


This syrup was a component of the cake I made for Michael's memorial service. It's hard to say too much about this one. The recipe was: stir together some lemon juice, some water, and some sugar. That's all. So, it tasted a lot like it sounds -- basically like lemonade. I like lemonade. Would I drink this stuff plain? Maybe not. But for its intended purpose it had the right concentrations of lemon flavor and sweetness. I wasn't wowed by it, but it wasn't bad either. In theory this syrup was used as a soaking syrup for the cake layers before they were assembled. In practice that was a bit of a disaster, but more on that when I get to the cake itself.

Here is the recipe.

My new pet project for the summer is to cook as many recipes from the Breakfast and Brunch section as possible. When I move to Indiana I will be living alone, at least until I find a roommate, and somehow cooking breakfast/brunch seems less likely to happen when I am living by myself. Truth be told, the only things I can eat in the morning without making myself sick are Clif Bars. I used to be a person who woke up in the morning, rolled out of bed, and was starving to eat whatever I could find in the kitchen. It never bothered me. Now, thanks (I think) to my nasty medication, this is not the case. A certain friend likes to make fun of me about how often I ignore the obvious consequences and try to eat something non-Clif trademarked in the morning. It's nearly always a disaster. So, cooking breakfast/brunch for myself is a no-go, at least in the morning. Thus, I am making as many of those recipes as possible while I have someone else around to eat them. I, of course, still taste everything (a few bites is usually not enough to make me regret it), and sometimes I make brunch for late morning, when I am able to eat like a normal person!

No comments: