Friday, July 27, 2007

Kale and Potato Spanish Tortilla (Page 633)

  • Date: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I made this recipe as part of my ongoing effort to cook as much as possible from the Breakfast and Brunch section of The Book. It was pretty good. The potatoes were cooked perfectly, and poaching them in oil gave them a lovely flavor (although it used an obscene amount of olive oil). I would have liked the dish better without the kale, which is more traditional anyway. I suppose the kale added color, but other than that it didn't contribute positively to the dish. The consistency of the tortilla was perfect, and the ratio of eggs to potatoes was just right. I found the dish too salty, which is odd because I love salt and rarely think that the food in The Book is over-salted. Nonetheless, I would reduce the salt in this one if I made it again. Other than those minor comments, it was a good tortilla. If you like Spanish tortilla I would recommend trying this recipe.

Here is the recipe.

This afternoon I briefly attended part of an economics conference to see a friend give a talk. I was completely astonished by how different it was from a math conference. There were many superficial differences (dress code for instance...). But the major difference was the presence of a discussant. For each person presenting a paper, there was an assigned discussant who prepared in advance a critique of the paper. So the hour of presentation was structured as: 20 minute presentation by the author followed by 20 minute critique by the discussant, followed by 20 minutes of audience comments and questions. The astonishing thing was not this structure, but rather the unbelievably hostile tone of the discussant. Now clearly that could have been specific to this instance, but this guy was rude. Some of his comments were interesting, but the way in which he phrased them seemed inexcusable to me. It felt like a personal attack on the author of the paper. It made me curious to attend more such talks and see if this behavior is typical or out of the ordinary. In any event it made me grateful for both the structure and the tone of conferences in mathematics!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I talked to an economist friend of mine the other day about this phenomena. Turns out that bashing other people's work in econ is how a lot of people gain "prestige" in the discipline. I feel like I have a lot to be thankful for - rural sociologists tend to be really supportive and constructive in their criticism!

Teena said...

Isn't that horrible? Maybe if we were economists we would be used to it and it wouldn't seem so shocking. But it certainly made me grateful to be a mathematician!