Sunday, July 01, 2007

Drunken Beans (Page 266)

  • Date: Monday, June 18, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Charlottesville, VA
  • Kitchen: Mike's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Tom, and Ashley
  • Recipe Rating: B


I made tacos for dinner a couple weeks ago, and I chose these beans to go with them. This dish was ok. I was expecting a lot of flavor from these beans, as they were cooked for hours with bacon, onion, garlic, oregano, beer, and pickled jalapenos. Surprisingly though, they came out pretty bland. They were spicy (too spicy in my opinion) but there was no depth of flavor. I should note that Matt ate them as leftovers a couple days later and said that they were MUCH better then. He said the spiciness mellowed out a bit and the other flavors really came through. So maybe it would be wise to make them at least a day ahead. The amount of liquid also made the beans difficult to serve and eat. In the picture above you can see that they are very soupy, and that was after draining off much of the liquid that was in the dish when it was removed from the oven. Perhaps the flavors would have been more concentrated, and hence easier to detect, if there was less liquid. Overall these beans were fine, but not particularly worth the trouble. Also odd: The Book claims the start to finish time on this recipe is 45 minutes, but the beans cook in the oven for 2 hours!

The recipe is identical to this one, except the one in The Book says that the beans need to soak for at least 8 hours instead of 4.

Matt witnessed my pull-up today at the gym, which makes my goal officially completed! So now I am wondering, what should I try to do next? The pull-up was the perfect fitness goal because it was difficult and required a lot of training, but was also concrete and achievable. Most importantly, it motivated me to go to the gym. I have no good ideas for a new goal though. Thoughts?

I briefly dated a guy a few years back whose older brother was a professional poker player. He also did some proposition betting, and often the bets were fitness related. The details of his bets are now vague in my memory, but as I recall, he bet someone $10,000 that he could learn to do a standing back tuck in a week. He did it, and collected on the bet. He bet a much larger sum of money that in a year he could learn to run a 5 minute mile (at least I think it was 5 minutes...). On that one he did not come out ahead... Occasionally when I think about the random goals I set for myself and the obsession with which I pursue them, I am reminded of this type of gambling. I should have taken bets about the pull-up. I think there are a good number of people out there who would have bet against me!

2 comments:

Meghan Walsh said...

Hey Teena! Why have I chosen to spend this whole morning reading your blog? Gosh...I miss the essence of YOU and here you are (amidst a lot of good looking food!). Dev and I are planning to come and visit your campus ... she's in Nicaragua right now. Ar comes home on Monday from Ecuador. Yeah! I think I should have you do ALL the food for my wedding...date not yet scheduled! Miss you! ~Meghan

Teena said...

I miss you too! I'm very much looking forward to seeing you at the graduation party!

Best,

Teena