Thursday, June 28, 2007

Profiteroles (Page 792)

  • Date: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 -- 8:30pm
  • Location: Charlottesville, VA
  • Kitchen: Mike's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Tom, and Ashley
  • Recipe Rating: B+


It was shockingly hard to find a recipe for dessert in The Book that didn't require an electric mixer, or some type of special pan. Mike (like any person who doesn't do a lot of baking) doesn't have these items. I would like to say that this recipe was one of the few that didn't call for an electric mixer. In truth, it did, but having made pastries with pate a choux dough many times before, I knew that I could beat it with a wooden spoon instead and it would be just as good. So I picked these profiteroles for dessert. Truth be told, I don't particularly like profiteroles. I understand that they are composed entirely of delicious things: cream puff pastry (pate a choux), ice cream, and hot fudge. But still, they aren't my favorite. As I have mentioned many times by now, I just can't stand behind soggy baked goods. I find it impossible to eat profiteroles fast enough that the ice cream doesn't melt a bit and turn the pastry soggy. That said, for profiteroles this recipe was pretty good. The recipe suggested filling the pasty shells with burnt orange ice cream. Not being equipped to make, or able to buy, that particular flavor, I filled some with vanilla and some with dulce de leche ice cream. The size of the profiteroles was nice -- they were nice and small, so even three of them made a somewhat manageable dessert. My only real complaint with the recipe was that the shells weren't cooked in a way that optimized the crispiness of the pastry. Usually pate a choux is started in a hot oven, and then finished in a medium oven, to give the insides time to dry out. Further, you often poke a small hole in the finished pastries and put them back in the oven to further dry. This gives the pastry a lovely crispy shell. These small pastries were simply cooked in a hot oven, and so while they were crispy directly out of the oven, they immediately got a bit soft. Overall though, if you are looking for a profiterole recipe, this one isn't bad.

There is no recipe for this one online.

My bedroom is entirely boxed up, minus my container of Flintstones vitamins and the wireless internet router, which I will kindly leave plugged in for Mike and Jessie. It was like something out a movie earlier today, when just as I was sealing up the last box, I got an email from a complete stranger, needing photos for some article about some (non-math) project I did long ago. Said photos were located somewhere in the pile of boxes. Of course instead of labeling the boxes carefully, I had just labeled them all "Teena Bedroom," so fulfilling this nice woman's request required opening about half of them, rummaging through the contents, and sealing them again. I found the photos though, and the woman who needs them sent me back a cute email, the entire contents of which was the sentence, "You are a gem." That cracked me up, especially coming from a complete stranger. I can only hope that no one else is in desperate need of anything that once lived in my bedroom. It seems sadly inevitable that these boxes will get opened at least one more time. What are the chances that I managed to successfully leave everything I will need in the next month and half out of those boxes? Probably not good!

No comments: