Saturday, June 02, 2007

Pad Thai (Page 245)

  • Date: Monday, May 21, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Framingham, MA
  • Kitchen: Michael and Ephriam's House
  • Fellow Chef: Chris
  • Dining Companions: Richard H, Jack, Renato, Michael, Jean, and Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+


A few weeks ago I was visiting Michael and I had The Book with me. She flipped through it for a while, and then asked me if I would make this recipe for her. So Chris and I made it for dinner one night for the crew out in Framingham. This Pad Thai was pretty good. The sauce had a great flavor. The recipe wasn't as Americanized as many Pad Thai recipes you find in cookbooks from the US. Indeed, the sauce started from a block of tamarind (if you've never seen one of these sticky dried tamarind blocks, they look incredibly unappealing, but they make for a great tasting sauce!). The result of the authentic ingredients was a delicious sauce. The egg, shrimp, and tofu all work well in the dish. My only real complaint is that there were way too many bean sprouts. I like sprouts as much as the next person, but the dish felt very overpowered by them. I think Pad Thai is delicious with a few sprouts sprinkled on it, but this dish had sprouts on top and sprouts throughout, and there were just too many of them! Other than that though, it was good. Everyone seemed to enjoy it.

It seems that no one really believes me that I did a pull-up yesterday (grrr... with friends like these...). So today I did one again, this time with Mike as a witness. So if you have your doubts, talk to Mike, and hopefully he will vouch for me!

I am definitely stronger now than I ever have been. Well, at least my upper-body is stronger. I would like to maintain some of this strength -- it would be nice to continue to be able to do a pull-up. Sadly though, I think my body naturally tends towards a state that is weaker and less muscular than my current one. Thus, I think it will take a lot of work to maintain my new pull-up ability. I have not yet investigated the gym situation at Indiana University. However, if it's like and any other huge state school I have ever seen, there are probably tons of big, nice workout facilities. I will miss the MIT Z-center though. I like it there a lot. I think having a place to workout that you like is extremely important. I have also grown especially attached to the Z-center lately, since I have been working out there every single day for the last few weeks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job. What will be your next feat of strength?

Mike Hill said...

It's true! She dragged me over to the pull-up bar, tossed up her hands and did a beautiful chin-up!!

Teena said...

I have no immediate plans for more amazing feats like this one! I'm sure I will come up with something though. It just requires some thought...