Monday, June 18, 2007

Skate with Black Butter (Page 286)

  • Monday, May 28, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Daniel, Matt, and Ricky
  • Dining Companion: Mike
  • Recipe Rating: B-


I picked this recipe because I am trying to make as many seafood recipes as possible before I move inland. This recipe was fine, but I wasn't particularly impressed. It was quite simple: fish cooked in butter that has itself been cooked to the point of (almost) blackness. There was no skate to be found at Whole Foods, so we made it with one of the acceptable substitutes listed in the recipe: sole fillets. The dish tasted fine, but it was so buttery. Fish can be so lovely as a light entree. I just don't see the point of taking a delicate piece of fish and drenching it in butter. This dish felt heavy, which isn't really what I look for from a delicate white-fleshed fish. It tasted fine though -- the black butter was everything you would expect it to be: rich, flavorful, nutty. I wouldn't make this recipe again, but I didn't particularly mind eating it. This recipe doesn't appear online.

I did it! I beat Matty at bowling!!! Our bowling rivalry has been going on for a short while now, and I have never won a game against him. It's not that I am so much worse than him, but rather I let him psych me out! Last night though, we went bowling with Tom, and on game two I beat Matt 147 to 131. Now, to be fair, I should say that Matt and Tom both wiped the floor with me on the other two games (Side note: on the first game Matt bowled a 170! I was impressed.). Matt won the night, but it didn't matter to me -- I won a game!

Anyone who has ever been bowling with us in Boston knows that it is an ordeal. There are very few places that have real bowling (as opposed to crazy Boston candlepin bowling, which is no fun), and consequently they have absurd hours because of the leagues, and you always have to wait for a lane. In Charlottesville, Virginia however, there are no such problems. The bowling alley was three-quarters empty last night, and bowling cost 99 cents a game! Plus, it was way fancier than our usual Boston alley. There were crazy graphics on the automatic scoring, and you could use the computer to call a waitress to come and bring you food. It was amazing!

No comments: