Monday, June 25, 2007

Cantaloupe in Port Jelly (Page 806)

  • Date: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Charlottesville, VA
  • Kitchen: Mike's Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B


Whoops, I accidentally skipped this one in my blogging. I picked this dessert because I am trying to finish up the Fruit Desserts section of The Book. The dish was odd, but not necessarily bad. Port jello was something I had never considered making before, and actually it tasted better than it sounds. The flavor of the ruby port came through clearly, and it had just the right amount of sugar added. I think it would have been better without the cantaloupe chunks though. Cantaloupe is one of my favorite fruits, but serving it floating in jello does not do it justice. Texturally, I think melon in jello is just a bad idea. Surrounded by all that gelatinous substance, the melon itself tasted almost soggy. Overall, it was a refreshing dessert for a warm summer evening, but I'm not sure that I would feel compelled to make it again.

Here is the recipe.

My parents were in town this weekend for Michael's memorial, and on Saturday night Emilee flew in because she is attending a conference at the Boston Medical Center this week. So on Sunday the four of us spent the day together in Boston. We at lunch downtown and then my mom, Emilee, and I did some shopping! After a few hours of trying on clothes, my dad treated me and Em by purchasing us massages in the hotel spa. I hadn't had a professional massage in years, and it was awesome! We followed our massages with a delicious dinner at the East Coast Grill. Emilee and I finished the day by going to the movies. She is staying in the Boston University dorms, so I thought we would just walk to the movie theater at Fenway. Somehow I got lost (of course), but eventually we got there only to discover that our movie didn't start for another 2 hours! So we ended up going down to the theater on Boston Common. It was worth the detour though, because we saw Knocked Up, which was pretty funny. It was a lovely Sunday!

3 comments:

Mike Hill said...

Huh. Yes. I heard that it was a good movie...

Teena said...

Bitter? Let me just point out that you did the EXACT same thing to me. You promised to see Stick It with me last year, then saw it with Tim instead!

Mike Hill said...

I have no recollection of anything of the sort. I do, however, remember offering to see it with you anyway!