Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Pasta with Tomato and Basil (Page 206)

  • Wednesday, June 13, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Charlottesville, VA
  • Kitchen: Mike's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Tom, and Ashley
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I chose this recipe because it seemed appropriately summery, and met all the requirements for preparation in Mike's kitchen. This dish was simple, and arguably unexciting, but I liked it! My dining companions were, however, less than impressed. It was a simple dish, made with pasta, basil, and garlic. Usually when I make that dish the three aforementioned ingredients aren't cooked. In this case, they are. You can't really go wrong with basil and tomatoes. The sauce tasted good. It seemed like a strange choice to call for egg pasta (why have a rich pasta with such a light sauce?), and if I make it again I will definitely go for a non-egg variety. Ashley pointed out that this dish is just as good (maybe better?) with raw ingredients, and obviously simpler to make, so why would you ever make this one? To a certain extent I agree -- this recipe for instance called for the tomatoes to be peeled, which isn't hard, but is maybe a little overly fussy for such a simple dish. But, I still enjoyed eating this dish, and if I had it in front of me right now I would be excited to eat it again!

There's no recipe for this one online.

Emilee and I watched this terrible TV show on Monday called "Age of Love." It's like The Bachelor, except with the added twist that the guy is 30 years old, and half the women are in their twenties, and the other half are in their forties. Supposedly there are going to be some physical challenges pitting the twenty year-olds against the forty year-olds, but we didn't see that. To even out the playing field they picked the most well-preserved forty-somethings I have ever seen, and some of the most annoying twenty-somethings that you can imagine. The guy, who is apparently some sort of tennis star, stumbles through it, saying over and over again how he has never dated an older woman before. The show claims to be some sort of social experiment testing whether age really matters. Well obviously age matters to some extent. Duh. For instance, Mr. Tennis Star keeps saying how he wants to have kids. That's a relevant consideration when some of the women on the show are 48 years old, etc...

I have never dated anyone more than two years younger than me or seven years older. It's hard for me to imagine wanting to date someone 18 years younger than myself. Of course, at this point that would be both disgusting and completely illegal. Maybe later in life it would seem more reasonable...

No comments: