Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Ravigote Sauce (Page 438)

  • Sunday, May 27, 2007 --8pm
  • Location: Cambridge, MA
  • Kitchen: Alex and Gunther's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Alex, Gunther, Andreas, Katiri, and Jocelyn
  • Recipe Rating: B+


This sauce went with a grilled dish that I chose because I always try to do at least one grilled recipe when I cook at Alex's place! The sauce alone was a bit difficult to eat. The strong flavors of the onion, capers, vinegar, and mustard made a very pungent combination. It was delicious served on meat or bread though. My only complaint is that the ratio of onion to the rest of the ingredients was too high. The onion gave the whole sauce a very bitter note that didn't work so well. Aside from that, this briny, herby, sauce was quite delicious.

Hello from sunny Virginia! I don't usually think of Virginia as being part of The South, but it definitely has a different cultural feel to it than the northeast. For instance, I went to the grocery store on Monday, and in the brief time I spent there, EIGHT strangers talked to me, for no particular reason.

It's beautiful here -- very hilly and wooded. The hilliness is actually working against me though. The only vehicle Matt and I have here is his car, which is a stick shift. Despite the two parking-lot lessons he has given me, I am still too scared to drive on the streets. The idea of stopping at a stop-light, on a hill, completely terrifies me. And it is very hilly here. So I am not driving. Which means that I am spending a lot of time wandering around on foot. Luckily there is a grocery store within walking distance from Mike's apartment...

No comments: