Friday, June 01, 2007

Mango Chutney (Page 906)

  • Date: Sunday, May 20, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-


This recipe was on the list generated by the random number generator. The recipe claimed this chutney would complement pretty much anything, so we ate it with Chik Nuggets. Perhaps that wasn't the best possible pairing (sometimes you just have to go with what's in the freezer though!), but it was still very good. My usual complaint with chutney recipes is that they are often overpowered by the vinegar. This recipe was well balanced though. The flavor of the cider vinegar came through without drowning out the mango and spices. There was an appropriate complexity of flavor -- it was interesting without being overwhelming. It also had a nice, thick chutney texture, with big chunks of mango in it. It was easily as good as any mango chutney I have had.

I am out in Framingham for the evening, staying with Michael. She's sleeping now, and I am looking out the window at the gorgeous trees in the backyard.

Jack asked me tonight if I have ever been through this before. I really haven't. I have lost people in my life, but never to cancer. Never like this. It's a lot to process. When I am out here I end up staring out the windows at the trees a lot, sitting with Michael as she sleeps. I expect that years from now I will still remember these trees quite vividly...

2 comments:

W.P. Martin said...

Hey, I just made a tomato chutney and I think it is a little on the thin side. It's supposed to be somewhat the texture of a jelly isn't it? Anyway, I was wondering if you have recommendations on how to thicken it up a bit.

I've been cooking my way through Peterson's "Cooking." I'll be sure to come back and check out the blog.

Teena said...

Yeah, it should be pretty thick and gelatinous. You could always use the tried-and-true method of just cooking it longer to thicken it up. Alternately, you can add a bit of cornstarch and boil it to thicken, but you should be cautious doing that -- it can give things an unpleasant starchiness if you add too much.