Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Scallions with Lemon Parsley Butter (Page 576)

  • Date: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Charlottesville, VA
  • Kitchen: Mike's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Tom, and Ashley
  • Recipe Rating: B

While cooking at Mike's place, I chose recipes that required limited equipment, and with ingredients that could definitely be found at the one grocery store I could walk to from Mike's apartment. This recipe met these two criteria, so I made it one night when Tom and Ashley came over for dinner. This dish wasn't bad. Full disclosure: I had never eaten, more or less made, a scallion-based dish before. This type of preparation is very common with leeks, but I had never seen it done to green onions. I was a bit skeptical about this dish. Scallions have a very pungent flavor, and I wasn't sure I would enjoy a side dish of them alone. They turned out better than I thought they would though. Blanching the scallions mellowed them out a lot. They still had a distinct flavor, but without being biting, or bitter. The lemon parsley butter complemented the scallions nicely. There was some discussion as to whether the dish had too much butter on it, but I thought it was approximately the right amount. My only complaint was that the dark green ends were very tough and stringy, which made them hard to eat, and much less enjoyable than the white and light green parts. I probably wouldn't make this dish again, but it wasn't bad.

Here is the recipe.

Emilee is in town all week for a conference on geriatrics, and it has been wonderful to have her around. She's busy all day at the conference, so I have been packing and working by day, and hanging out with her at night. Last night we made dinner, drank Corona, watched a terrible TV show and ate ice cream. It was perfect.

Packing is distinctly less fun. Starting Friday I will be staying with a friend for the rest of the summer (still in the area), and Mike will be staying at my place, so I am trying to at least pack up my bedroom before he moves in so he has somewhere to put his stuff. I am more or less done boxing up my bedroom, but I can't even set foot in the kitchen without thinking about how much work that it going to be! I ran out of both tape and boxes a little while ago though, so I decided to quit for the day. I am also rapidly running out of places to put the packed boxes. Why is moving so horrible?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Moving sucks because we all have too much stuff. Also, why are you staying somewhere other than where you live and letting someone else stay where you live?

Mike Hill said...

So now I'm a nameless "someone else"? Good lord, who are these anonymous posters?

Teena said...

Yeah, I agree, it doesn't seem totally logical. This is just the way it worked out the best for everyone involved though!

Anonymous said...

I'm someone who likes good food, so I seem to have something in common with Teena. Also, I lived in Somerville once upon a time.
I'm glad it works out for the best for both of you. And good luck with the moving!

Teena said...

Mike, hasn't anyone every taught you that it isn't nice to harass complete strangers? Leave Mr. or Ms. Anonymous alone!