Monday, June 04, 2007

Milanese Mixed Salad (Page 131)

  • Date: Sunday, May 27, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Cambridge, MA
  • Kitchen: Alex and Gunther's Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Alex and Katiri
  • Dining Companions: Gunther, Andreas, and Jocelyn
  • Recipe Rating: B+

I'm not such a fan of bitter vegetables, so I haven't much been looking forward to making this recipe. I figured that arugula and radicchio together in one bowl was a recipe for disaster. This salad surprised me though. It was actually quite good. The vegetables were indeed bitter, but the bitterness was nicely balanced by the sweetness of the carrots. The white wine vinaigrette dressing was light, which was a nice complement to the salad components. The dressing could have had a bit more flavor to it, but it still worked well. We shredded the carrots a little smaller than would be ideal, which resulted in some slightly mushy carrot pieces. Overall though, this salad was very light, summery, and refreshing. A couple people complained that it was a bit boring, which might be true, but I found it to be quite tasty nonetheless.

I don't know what to say. After a very difficult weekend, Michael died last night. I was sitting in bed next to her when she passed, which is where I had hoped I would be when the time came.

She was an amazing woman who touched my life, and the lives of many others, in enormous ways. She will be dearly, dearly missed...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My deepest condolences to you and her family.

MG

ana rita said...

I am so sorry, teena. Again, I wish I could give you a hug.