Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Seeded Crisps (Page 7)

  • Thursday, May 31, 2007 -- 9pm
  • Location: Cambridge, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Vero, Ricky, Matt, Ben H, Ben W, and Jacob
  • Recipe Rating: B


I made these for Bad Movie Night because it was the first recipe occurring in The Book that I hadn't made yet (I have now made the first 7 -- next up: Benne Seed Pita Toasts). These seeded crisps were pretty good. I do love to deep-fry, so I enjoyed making them quite a bit. The combination of seeds was very tasty. The poppy and sesame seeds were mellow while the mustard seeds and cayenne gave the crisps a bit of a kick, which was unexpected but nice. My only complaint is that they were a little greasy. The wonton wrappers absorbed quite a bit of oil. On the other hand, greasy food is probably the right way to go for Bad Movie Night! I'm not sure I would make them again (super-greasy food isn't my favorite), but they were tasty and everyone seemed to enjoy snacking on them. The recipe is essentially the same as the one here except the one in The Book uses only white sesame seeds.

Well, I made it back safely to Boston. The woman sitting next to me on the plane was way more scared than I was, which, strangely, always makes me feel better about flying.

Now I have officially begun preparations for this cake for 107 people (it was 80 people, but somehow 80 became 107 overnight). Truth be told, it's really three cakes, not one. I am making the wedding cake from The Book (except even BIGGER), but since a tiered wedding cake seems not terribly appropriate for a memorial service, I am not going to stack the tiers. So there will be a big cake, a medium sized cake, and a small cake, hopefully tastefully decorated and artfully arranged.

So far I have only managed to purchase the groceries for this adventure. You should have seen the look on the face of the check-out woman when she was scanning my 18 boxes of cream cheese and 7 pounds of butter. You could tell that she wanted to ask, "Why, oh why are you buying these items?" I suppose they are trained not to ask such questions though. So she just looked at me quizzically, and I was so charmed by her confusion that I offered no explanation.

Tomorrow the real adventure begins, as I will then start baking the layers!

No comments: