Sunday, June 17, 2007

Honey-Glazed Wax Beans (Page 523)

  • Monday, May 28, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Matt and Ricky
  • Dining Companions: Daniel and Mike
  • Recipe Rating: A-


I chose this recipe for dinner a few weeks back because we needed to make a quick dinner, and this recipe was very quick. I liked these beans a lot. Had I blogged about them immediately after we made them, I probably would have given them a B+, on the grounds that they were good, but not terribly exciting. Since we made them, however, I have often thought about eating them again. This dish was simple, and very basic, but it was good. The beans were cooked in boiling water and then tossed with a mixture of honey, lemon zest, and salt. It wasn't obvious to me that honey on beans was going to be good, but I found it delicious. It was subtle, but tasty, and the lemon zest provided a lovely contrast. Wax beans don't have a strong flavor, so it was nice to pair them with flavors that are delicate, but delicious! The recipe is here.

Happy Father's Day! Today is cause for double celebration in my family because in addition to being Father's Day, it is also my parents' 30th wedding anniversary! They got married in Las Vegas, 30 years ago today! I always tease them that they probably have the longest lasting marriage to ever come out of a Vegas walk-in wedding.

The story goes that in order to get married there, you only had to tell the people in charge your names, and how many times you had been married before. Apparently my mother almost bolted out the door when the man in from of them in line said that this would be his 13th marriage!

It worked out for my parents though, because my mom and dad, Terry and Teri, are celebrating 30 years together today!

No comments: