Friday, June 15, 2007

Grilled Tropical Fruit with Rum Sauce (Page 811)

  • Date: Sunday, May 27, 2007 -- 9pm
  • Location: Cambridge, MA
  • Kitchen: Alex and Gunther's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Alex
  • Dining Companions: Gunther, Katiri, Andreas, Jocelyn, and Phillip
  • Recipe Rating: B-


I picked this recipe to make at Alex's because he has a grill and I do not. This recipe was disappointing. It seemed so promising. I love grilled fruit. I love ice cream. I love caramel sauce. But this wasn't great. It had two main problems:
  1. Upon touching the ice cream the caramel sauce immediately turned in to an impenetrable rock. You could try to break it with your hands and put it in your mouth, but then it immediately adhered to your back teeth. It tasted DELICIOUS but was seriously unpleasant to eat. This problem would have been easily solved by adding more butter to the sauce, but as written, the sauce was a disaster.
  2. It was just too much. I would have preferred just one kind of fruit (bananas or pineapple probably), or just fewer pieces of each, but as written the servings were huge and having so many types of fruit was a bit overwhelming!
I still ate most of my dessert, and I enjoyed it well enough, but I wouldn't make it again. In case you are interested, a very similar recipe is here, although the one in The Book has 2/3 cup of rum instead of 1/2 and omits the chile-macadamia brittle.

I keep trying to remember to post more pictures of people enjoying the food, rather than just pictures of the food itself. To that end, here's a picture from dinner at Alex's place a few weeks ago.

I am also going to start posting links to the recipes when available, since people without The Book often ask me for copies of the recipes that are good. The website www.epicurious.com has some of the recipes on it (or slight variations of the recipes). I will try to note in which ways the recipe in The Book is different from the one I link to. In many cases the recipe doesn't appear online though, so if you want one of those, you will still have to ask!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!