Sunday, June 17, 2007

Sweet Potato Chips with Lime Salt (Page 6)

  • Monday, May 28, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Daniel, Matt, and Ricky
  • Dining Companion: Mike
  • Recipe Rating: A



I picked this recipe because it was the first one in The Book that I hadn't made yet. These chips were awesome! There was some disagreement about how much salt should have been on them -- Mike and I love salt and hence had no complaints; Matt and Ricky wanted less salt. But that aside, everyone agreed that they were delicious. The lime zest in the salt enhanced the recipe quite a bit. It provided a subtle, refreshing note without overpowering the flavor of the sweet potatoes. This recipe was a winner. It is essentially the same as this recipe, except the one in The Book calls for kosher salt instead of table salt, and 1.5 times as much of it.

Yesterday my traveling companion and I went to the Kings Dominion amusement park! It was great! I wanted to go to a water park, and my traveling companion wanted roller coasters, so we went to Kings Dominion, which is an amusement park and a water park TOGETHER! Crazy. I don't think I had been on a roller coaster, or in a water park for almost 10 years. I had so much fun. The two of us have completely opposite tastes in rides. He loves anything with a big drop -- the bigger the better -- and I am fine with loops or being upside-down, or going fast, but I hate the drops. So it took a little coercing to get me on some of the roller coasters he wanted to go on, but in the end I caved on all but one of them. There was one that I just wanted nothing to do with... it shot you straight up, and then straight back down. It really didn't look fun. Roller coaster technology has definitely changed since the last time I was on one. Many of the new ones "blast" you up the big incline in a second or two instead of pulling you up slowly like they used to. I'm not sure how that blast is powered but it is crazy, especially if you aren't expecting it. We rode The Volcano, where the part with the blast occurs in a fake mountain, so you can't see it from the outside. There I was, sitting in my seat, waiting for the slow incline, and all of the sudden we were shot straight to the top. It was awesome! I also rode my first standing roller coaster. The roller coasters ended up being more fun than I expected, and I got my fill of water rides too (I love any ride that involves water). It was a good day. We went on rides, ate cotton candy, sno-cones, and huge soft pretzels, and enjoyed a completely beautiful day of Virginia weather. I was so exhausted by our day of thrills yesterday that I woke up at 12:30pm today!

No comments: