Monday, June 25, 2007

Fried Calamari with Peperoncini Mayonaise (Page 75)

  • Wednesday, June 13, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Charlottesville, VA
  • Kitchen: Mike's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Tom and Ashley
  • Recipe Rating: B-


I am terribly behind on the Hors D'Oeuvres and First Courses section of The Book so I chose this dish to make when Tom and Ashley came to dinner a couple weeks ago. It was ok. I have two main complaints. One, the coating of rice flour was too thin. I prefer a thicker breading on my fried calamari. There was some disagreement about this point -- some people were happy with the thin crispy coating that the rice flour provided. Complaint number two: the directions instructed you to deep-fry until golden. We did just that, but the squid came out over-cooked. As you can see in the picture above, they still look a little pale, but many of them were tough and overdone. The peperoncini mayonaise was decent. I would have preferred a lighter, tomato-based dipping sauce, but it wasn't bad. I enjoyed eating this dish well enough, but the next time I make calamari, I will look for a different recipe.

Here is the recipe.

My apologies for the blog silence over the week-end. Saturday was Michael's memorial service and celebration of life party. Both events were lovely. The memorial service was held in a beautiful hall. There was a lot of music, several speakers and various readings. Michael was eulogized beautifully by everyone involved. I was nervous that I wouldn't be able to get through my talk without breaking down, but it ended up going smoothly.

After the service everyone congregated at Richard and Anita's house for a party. Michael asked me months ago if I would be in charge of selecting/ordering the food for this event, so I did just that. I have never ordered food for a hundred people before, and I was worried that there wouldn't be enough. We ended up having plenty though (perhaps a bit too much!), and my huge cake got served too. The party was great -- the weather was perfect, and people were able to socialize, sing some of Michael's favorite songs, eat, and remember Michael. I think it was exactly as she wanted.

No comments: