Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Honeydew in Rosemary Syrup (Page 806)

  • Monday, May 28, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matt
  • Dining Companions: Ricky, Daniel, and Mike
  • Recipe Rating: B


I picked this one because I am working on finishing off the Fruit Desserts section of The Book (only 13 recipes to go!). This dessert was definitely interesting, but not necessarily in a good way. Quite honestly, I would have preferred to eat just plain honeydew melon. The syrup had a distinct rosemary flavor, which was novel with the melon, but I don't think it worked very well. I appreciate the integration of traditionally savory ingredients in to desserts -- and the concept is often executed most successfully with fruit desserts. In this case, though, I wasn't terribly impressed. Further, although the recipe calls for black peppercorns, I found the peppercorn flavor completely undetectable in the final result. This dessert was far from inedible and it was interesting to try once, but I wouldn't make it again. The recipe is very similar to this one, although the one in The Book calls for only half as much rosemary, and says to let the whole thing stand at room temperature for one hour before serving.

Tomorrow I am headed back to Boston. Michael's memorial service is this weekend, and between now and then I need to figure out how to make a cake for 80 people! This will definitely be a new adventure for me. Fortunately, I have plenty of time to figure it out.

With my stay in Virginia drawing to a close, we had Tom and Ashley over for another Book dinner last night. Most of the food was pretty good -- two A recipes in one night! I tried to pick more carefully this time because last week we had Tom and Ashley over for a rather mediocre Book dinner! After dinner we played Kill Dr. Lucky, which is a board game that was new to me. It was a lot of fun -- I definitely recommend it.

Today I need to pack. I rode down here in a car, but am flying back, so I have way more stuff down here than I can take with me on the plane... It's a bit of a problem.

No comments: