Thursday, July 19, 2007

Matzo Brei (Page 630)

  • Thursday, July 12, 2007 -- 10am
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B


I made this recipe last week as part of my ongoing effort to cook as much as possible from the Breakfast and Brunch section this summer. This dish was ok. The amount of butter was pretty terrifying, and I am not-too-easily shocked by such things. The matzos were a little soggy for my taste, and continuing to cook them to make them crispy would have resulted in some dramatically overcooked eggs. It had a good flavor (how could it not with that much butter?). The flavor was very reminiscent of french toast, and consequently it seemed that some maple syrup would have been a good addition. Overall it was enjoyable, but maybe not enough to compensate for how unhealthy it was!

Here is the recipe.

I just had the most fantastically Midwestern evening. We went out to dinner to celebrate my mother's and brother's birthdays. Spencer chose the restaurant and we ended up at a place called Smokey's Club, which is a steakhouse that has been in Madison for ages. We all ate huge steaks for dinner, on plates garnished only with one sprig of parsley. That was the whole plate: a huge steak and a sprig of parsley. The highlight of the meal was really our appetizer though: we ordered some deep-fried cheese curds because Matt had never had them. Welcome to Wisconsin! Those cheese curds were so delicious...

After dinner we went disco bowling! Matt and my dad both beat me (very depressing!) but we all bowled pretty well. My mom bowled 100 one game, which is, I think, her best score ever. The disco lights and loud music definitely enhanced the experience.

Still on the agenda for our Midwestern extravaganza: the Dane County Fair!

No comments: