Thursday, July 12, 2007

Maple Mustard-Glazed Canadian Bacon (Page 658)

  • Date: Sunday, July 1, 2007 -- 12pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: C+


I picked this recipe as part of my mission to do as many Breakfast and Brunch recipes as possible before I move to Indiana. This recipe was not a winner. The maple mustard glaze had a good flavor, but broiling the Canadian bacon made it incredibly tough. It ended up having the consistency of shoe leather. It would have been infinitely better had it just been brushed with the glaze and then heated in a frying pan on the stove. As it was, it was dry, and chewy, and gross. It's rare that I will take one bite of a piece of meat and not want to eat any more, but with this recipe, that was what happened. Matt wasn't quite as offended by the dish as I was, but he agreed that it wasn't good.

Here is the recipe.

Truth be told, although I blog I don't read too many blogs. My friends Mike and Melanie have blogs and I read those. I also read the blog of the guy who is doing the same Gourmet Project that I am. But in general I am not so much into reading the blogs of strangers.

There is one website though that I have to recommend for those who are unfamiliar: PostSecret. People anonymously send their secrets to this guy on postcards, and every Sunday he puts a bunch of new ones on the website. It's really interesting to read the things that people write, and see what secrets they feel weighed down by. If you have never seen this website, I suggest checking it out for a few weeks.

3 comments:

Mike Hill said...

Oh lord. Now people will know that I do sometimes still `blog. Curses!

I cannot sufficiently strongly endorse Post Secret. I am moved every week by the cards put up. It's a truly amazing site.

Melanie said...

Hey, I was wondering why I was getting so many hits on my blog coming from your site. I've kind of had blogger's block lately - long story. Btw, I also love PostSecret.

Teena said...

Tee he he, I thought you two would appreciate that!