Saturday, July 14, 2007

Benne Seed Pita Toasts (Page 8)

  • Date: Thursday, July 5, 2007 --7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Mike, Vero, Jacob, Grace, Ricky, and Matt
  • Recipe Rating: B


Matt and I hosted the Bad Movie Night crowd at his place a couple weeks ago, and we made dinner. I chose this recipe because it was the first recipe in The Book that I hadn't made yet (Now I have made the first 8 recipes. Next up: Liptauer Cheese). These toasts were fine. They had a nice crunch and a good sesame flavor. The directions for making them were quite bad though. There was a sesame seed and butter mixture that you were told to "brush" onto the pita. This mixture was horribly lumpy -- there was no way you could brush it on anything. The sesame seeds all stuck together while the butter pooled around them. Getting stuff on the pita required both a brush for the butter and a fork for the sesame seeds, which were very difficult to spread with any tool. This difficulty amounted to a very uneven distribution. Some toasts were nice and buttery, while others had practically no butter, but plenty of clumped-together sesame seeds. They all tasted fine, but it seemed to me that they would have been just as good (and much less of a pain) if you just brushed them with butter and sprinkled with sesame seeds.

Here is the recipe.

Alex added a new feature to the Project Index (link in the sidebar on the right) that computes a projected completion date for my project based on the rate I have been going so far. It confirms that I am a wee bit behind schedule. I had hoped to finish up four years from when I started, which would be January 4, 2010. But instead my currently projected completion date is May 1, 2010. Overall I am averaging 0.82 recipes per day, which isn't too bad. My plan is to try to get that up to 1.0 recipes per day, at least for this summer. Truth be told though, I am not too worried about finishing up a little late, as long as I finish. Some of the recipes towards the end are probably going to be a little time consuming -- although I have been doing a better job of doing some of the time-consuming recipes now, e.g. the wedding cakes. In any event, I am hoping that the new feature tracking my pace will keep me motivated to not fall behind!

2 comments:

kevin said...

Wow, you're going to beat me by 6 years. I won't be finished 'till July 7th 2016. Well done.
Kevin

Teena said...

Well we shall see... I may get slowed down by some of the crazier recipes (e.g. the Coulibiac -- that looks like quite a production)!