Sunday, July 22, 2007

Orecchiette with Cauliflower and Lacinato Kale (Page 213)

  • Date: Thursday, July 12, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B


This one came off the list generated by the random number generator. This pasta dish was ok. I love cauliflower, and with respect to that it was a good preparation. There were small pieces of cauliflower dispersed throughout the pasta, which was quite nice. I'm not a huge kale fan, but I think it was well prepared, so if you like kale you would probably enjoy it in this dish. The breadcrumbs were also a winning addition, as you might imagine because breadcrumbs are delicious! My only real complaint is that it was very oily. The dish felt very weighed down by all the oil in it. I couldn't find orecchiette so I made it with campanelle instead, which was a good shape for the dish. With less oil (and perhaps no kale) this dish would have been extremely tasty. As it was, it wasn't bad.

There is no recipe for this one online.

One of the things that is fabulous about Madison is that it is built on an Isthmus between two lakes. This morning my friend Meghan and her fiance Mark took me, Matt, and Spencer out boating on one of them, Lake Mendota. It was so fun! I haven't been on a motor boat in ages, and I just love being on the water. We had gorgeous weather, and the water was plenty warm for water activities. We started off with some tubing, which I have always loved. Basically you hitch a sturdy innertube on a rope to the back of the boat, and you hold on to the inner tube for dear life as the boat drags you quite fast along the water. It was fun and I was doing a good job holding on. In fact, I didn't fly off at all, but it seemed like a good idea to let go when my bikini bottom fell off. Whoops! After that we did some water skiing. Well, really Matt and Mark did some water skiing and I tried. I had never attempted to water ski before. I was able to get up (which everyone kept saying was the hardest part) but I had a tough time staying up for long.

It was fantastic being out on the water! I would love to own a boat someday because I find that sort of thing so enjoyable.

No comments: