Friday, July 27, 2007

Almond Apricot Biscotti (Page 686)

  • Date: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 -- 10pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Mike, Teri, Terry, Spencer, Brad, and Deniz
  • Recipe Rating: B


I made these biscotti to bring with us as gifts on our trip to Chicago/Wisconsin. They were ok. The almonds and flavor from the almond extract were nice, but I would have preferred them without the apricots. They tasted fine, but the method The Book called for to incorporate them in to the cookies resulted in some cookies having huge clots of apricots, while others had hardly any, or none. I think the point of the suggested method was so that there wouldn't be apricots on the outside of the cookies. I fail to see why that is important, and it certainly isn't worth the huge apricots clumps. It would be much better to simply have mixed the apricots in to the dough with the almonds so they would be distributed evenly. These cookies are less hard/dry than traditional biscotti, and I found that I prefer the texture of more traditional ones. I have a recipe I love for almond biscotti, and although these weren't bad, they just didn't measure up.

Here is the recipe.

My dear, dear friend Rachel has been in town the last few days, which has been just wonderful. She has been following my project for a while, but I hadn't seen her since I started it, so we took this opportunity to do some cooking together. Last night she and I cooked up a feast of Hawaiian food from The Book. Mike and Matt joined us for what turned out be a delicious meal! Our meal was followed by several hours of lovely conversation.

Today Rach and I went out to Walden Pond for a beautiful walk. Rachel and I were roommates our senior year at Stanford. Often on the weekends we would go for long walks, enjoying the beautiful California weather and chatting about all sorts of things. Today as we were out for our walk it felt just like old times. Rachel still lives in California, but last year when I was spending a lot of time there she was living in Syria, so I hadn't seen her in almost 2 years! It was so, so good to see her again. We always have a wonderful time, just hanging out and talking.

No comments: