Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Tomato and Cucumber Salad in Pita Bread with Za'atar (Page 183)

  • Wednesday, July 11, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I picked these sandwiches to make last week because they seemed like perfect hot weather food. Indeed they were quite good (as you can tell because I was so distracted I forgot to take a picture before I took a bite). The tomatoes and cucumber salad was tasty, but it was really the za'atar (sesame thyme seasoning) that made the sandwiches delicious. It gave the sandwiches a unique refreshing flavor without overwhelming the fresh tomatoes and cucumbers. There was nothing fancy about this dish, but for a simple summer meal, it was very nice.

This recipe does not appear online.

Hello from the Midwest! On our way to Madison, we made a stopover tonight in Chicago to visit Matt's brother and some other friends of his. So I am writing this from the very comfy sofa in Brad's condo, while I am watching Top Chef on cable TV (what a luxury!). I can't complain! In the morning it is off to Madison.

Tonight we had dinner with Matt's friend Alp. When we walked out of the restaurant it was POURING in a way that it does in a Midwest, but I have never seen on either coast. We were outside maybe 5 minutes, with umbrellas, and got completely soaked. It was actually really lovely. It reminded me so much of the years I spent growing up in Madison. I can't remember the last time I got truly drenched in a rainstorm like that. It took towels and two hairdryers for the three of us to get dry, but it was worth it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Za'atar is a staple in Syria...It's most common as a breakfast topping for flat bread. I think it's gross, but most ppl there liked it mixed with olive oil and spread on bread...Not sure why I'm posting this. I guess I just got nostalgic for Syria. See you soon! Rachel

Teena said...

Hmmm... that sounds pretty good to me! Maybe I'll try it. I think I still have some za'atar left in the fridge. See you soon Rach!