Sunday, July 15, 2007

Fresh Orange Slices with Candied Zest and Pistachios (Page 808)

  • Date: Thursday, July 5, 2007 -- 9pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Matt, Ricky, Vero, Grace, Jacob, and Mike
  • Recipe Rating: C-


I picked this one because I only have 11 recipes left in the Fruit Desserts section, so I am trying to finish it off! This dessert was awful though. It completely lacked any subtlety. It tasted like orange, followed by more orange, followed by more orange. And while I love candied zest as an accompaniment to a cake, or other dessert, the candied orange zest served on oranges was completely overwhelming. Most people just refused to eat it. The only positive thing that I can say is that the pistachios were a nice component. They tasted good in the orange syrup. But all together the dessert was pretty mediocre. You would be better off serving just a plain old orange. Or perhaps nothing at all.

The recipe is very similar to this one. Some of the amounts are different. I won't explain exactly how because I really don't recommend making it!

A quick shout out to my friend Alex, whose birthday is today. Happy Birthday! Alex is the mastermind behind the project index (link in the sidebar on the right) which provides me with endless entertainment. It also helps tremendously in keeping track of which sections I am behind on and which sections are going well. Plus, I love to be able to see all in one place the various people who have cooked/eaten with me throughout this project, and to remember which recipes they took part in. Basically what I am saying is: Yay Alex! I would have no idea how to program such a thing myself, but Alex is smart that way. And I appreciate it!

No comments: