Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Polonaise Topping (Page 895)

  • Sunday, July 15, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B

I picked this recipe because it was the first one I came across that I had all the ingredients for in the pantry. This topping was ok. I love breadcrumbs in pretty much any manifestation, and these breadcrumbs were crisped in butter, which is extra delicious. The hard-boiled eggs were a good addition, but I felt that the recipe called for more egg than it should have. The eggs contributed a nice richness, but as it was they overwhelmed what should have been a very simple topping. We ate this on cooked broccoli and cauliflower, and it complemented those vegetables nicely. I enjoyed eating this well enough, but I don't think I would make it again.

Here is the recipe.

Last night I went to my last book club meeting in Boston. I joined this book club more than three years ago now, when I was feeling a bit desperate for some non-math friends. My long-time friend Victoria had a book club with some other people she knew, who mainly worked in publishing. So I joined! Since then new people have joined, and some people have moved away, but a lot of the members are still the same. We get together once a month, and always have a good time.

Last night we were discussing "Digging to America" by Anne Tyler (which I liked, but some people found dull). We ate guacamole. We played with Ellen's dog. We gossiped. It was fun. Victoria is also moving away (business school in Michigan), so we had chocolate cake as a farewell. I will definitely miss the book club women!

No comments: