Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Cranberry Caramel Bars (Page 691)

  • Friday, July 13, 2007 -- 6pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Mike, and some people in the math department common room.
  • Recipe Rating: A


This recipe came off the list generated by the random number generator. These bars were awesome! The shortbread crust was buttery and delicious, and the cranberry/pecan/caramel topping was both beautiful and had a fantastic flavor. The chocolate was completely unnecessary though. In fact, the bars were better before I put the chocolate on. It was decorative, but distracted from the recipe. That aside, these were delicious! Although I made them in the middle of July, they would be perfect during the holiday season. Plus the recipe is simple and makes a ton of them!

Here is the recipe.

I am now back in Cambridge and back at the office. After my weekend in the Midwest, I am craving lots and lots of vegetables. I more or less lived off of beer, meat, and cheese for 4 days. Also various desserts: pie, cake, cheesecake, cookies, etc... We really ate some remarkable Wisconsin food. The most remarkable perhaps: a half pound hamburger, topped with a third pound bratwurst patty, topped with bacon, and sandwiched between two soft pretzels. Wow. We also sampled Wisconsin cheese in a whole variety of forms: deep-fried cheese curds, deep-fried chunks of cheddar, fresh cheese curds from the farmer's market, etc... I do love cheese, and there are few things as good as fresh, squeaky cheese curds. They are easily available in Wisconsin, but I have yet to see them on either the east or west coast. It's sad really, because they are delicious! I think I may have overdone it on the meat and cheese though, because by the end of the weekend I was feeling a little gross.

We met Brad in Chicago for Thai food yesterday before flying out, and I ordered a huge plate of vegetables and tofu. It was a welcome change!

6 comments:

Mike Hill said...

These were really amazing. I gave them an A+, but the "powers that be" marked it down to an A. Terrible.

By the way, the "word verification" thing just included a racial slur. You should really drop that.

Teena said...

Mike, you complain, complain, complain. Next time I won't give you an entire tupperware contianer full of cookies then! :)

Mike Hill said...

Ack! Perish the thought. I should have taken the other tupperware thing as well. They were super delicious.

The best mark in their favor is from Tim, who actually doesn't like cranberries. He still loved the bars. Beat that, Gourmet Magazine!

I'm still offended by the fact that a racial slur was in the word verification...

Teena said...

Are you sure it was a racial slur?

nikki said...

found your blog while trying to decide whether or not to do the lemon blackberry wedding cake. i've learned almost everything i know about cooking from 'the gourmet cookbook' so was really happy to come across your blog! we LOVE these bars as well. i'll definitely be checking back on your blog before trying new recipes from the book.
thanks!
ps. am not going to do the wedding cake. thanks for your tips!

Teena said...

Welcome, Nikki. Yeah these bars are awesome! This is a recipe that I come back to again and again.