Monday, July 16, 2007

Golden Egg-White Omelets with Spinach and Cheese (Page 631)

  • Date: Saturday, July 7, 2007 -- 12pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: C-

I made this recipe as part of my summer project to cook as much as possible from the Breakfast and Brunch section of The Book. This omelet was awful. I love omelets, and I especially love egg-white omelets, but this was one that I actually wouldn't eat. Exhibiting a choice that I completely cannot understand, this recipe added pureed roasted yellow peppers to the egg whites to make them look more like whole eggs. Why, why would you do that? Besides being a huge pain in the ass, the fake egg mixture gave the omelet a terrible texture. The claim was that this was supposed to improve the "rubbery" texture of egg whites. But I would much, much, much rather have that rubbery texture than the spongy, watery texture of this concoction. The spinach filling was fine, but I was too offended by the fake eggs to really enjoy it. Delicious egg white omelets are so easy to make. Please don't bother with this recipe!

Thankfully, there is no recipe for this one online.

Today is my mother's birthday. Happy Birthday mom! My mother has bestowed many gifts upon me, including my love of baking. My mom isn't fascinated by the sort of elaborate baking and cake decorating that I am, but she is a fantastic baker. If you are looking for the best chocolate chip cookie you have ever eaten, she's your woman. Or oatmeal cookies, peanut butter cookies, etc... The same goes for all sorts of pies. She taught me to make lemon meringue pie from scratch when I was young, and I made pie after pie after pie. Never one to use a store-bought crust, some of her first cooking lessons to me were about how to roll out a perfect pie crust.

I was in a school play when I was in 9th grade, and my mother baked treats for the whole cast for pretty much every rehearsal. Every day I would show up with tupperware containers full of cookies, or brownies, or cake. The cast and crew loved it! At the time I was grateful, but thought it odd that she wanted to do that. Now I completely understand and very much see myself in that gesture.

No comments: