Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Sesame Thyme Seasoning (Page 184)

  • Date: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-


This seasoning went with some cucumber and tomato salad sandwiches that I made for dinner last week. It was very simple: just a combination of toasted sesame seeds, ground sumac, minced fresh thyme, and salt. It was quite good. I wasn't so familiar with ground sumac, but its tart, berry flavor really enhanced the sandwiches. The sesame seeds provided a nice nuttiness and texture. The combination of those two ingredients with the thyme was very successful. Matt, who universally complains about having to grade seasonings from The Book, was completely taken with this seasoning. After very generously sprinkling it on his sandwich, he saved the leftovers and ate it on some fried eggs a few days later. He deemed this delicious as well.

Here is the recipe.

Sometimes the recipes in The Book that appear online at epicurious.com have brief reviews after them that were posted by people who tried the recipe. I make a point of not reading these reviews before writing my own comments. Just now I was checking out the reviews for this recipe. None of them are really about the recipe, but rather they are all about how no one could find ground sumac. Although I am not really a city girl at heart, one thing I like about living in the city is that I very rarely have that problem. Ground sumac, for instance, was a piece of cake to find. I just walked around the corner to the fabulous Christina's Spice Shop. I didn't learn to fully appreciate Christina's until this year, and I really missed out the previous 4 years. It is an amazing store!

Next year will be a bit of an adjustment I'm sure. Finding obscure ingredients is always trickier in the Midwest. Fortunately though I have lots of friend in Boston to go to Christina's for me and send me stuff (hint, hint...)!

No comments: