Monday, July 16, 2007

Key Lime Pie (Page 766)

  • Date: Monday, July 9, 2007 -- 9pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Matt, Ricky, and Vero
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I made this pie to be enjoyed over a game of Trivial Pursuit last week. It was pretty good. I have a fancier key lime pie recipe that I like better, but it is much more time-consuming than this one. For a simple, tasty key lime pie, this recipe is pretty good. A few small comments: One, the crust came out not as crispy as it could have. Were I to do it again I would bake it a bit longer. Also, the lime filling was a little bit too thick and heavy. Other than that the pie was nice. The lime flavor was present without being overwhelming. The ratio of filling to crust could have been a little bit higher, but as it was the pieces were so thin, I just had to have two! If you are looking for a super, super simple key lime pie recipe, this is the one for you.

Here is the recipe. The one in The Book is very slightly different in that it calls for only 6 tablespoons of key lime juice.

I am off to Wisconsin on Wednesday for a long weekend at home with the family. My parents are throwing me a graduation party, Midwest edition. When they originally proposed this to me, they pitched it as a barbeque-with-extended-family kind of thing. Somehow, between then and now, it has become hors d'oeuvres at the Wisconsin Memorial Union, overlooking the lake. The guest list has also expanded to include some people I have never even met! It remains a mystery to me why people I have never met would want to come to a graduation party for me. Maybe I will ask them... In any event, it should be fun. For one thing, my brother is coming back to Wisconsin for this shindig, and it's always good to see him. Plus, I got to pick out the food from the catering menu (except dessert -- my mother was insistent on fudge-bottomed pie. Also, the nacho bar I dreamed of and wanted got vetoed. I'm still sad about that). I may not cook much from Wisconsin, but hopefully that will give me a chance to catch up on my blogging.

No comments: