Monday, November 08, 2010

Orange Balsamic Glaze (Page 416)

RECIPE #1229

  • Date: Friday, October 1, 2010 -- 6pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our House
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Teri, Terry, Helen, Charles, Clara, Kendra, Jubin, and Watson
  • Recipe Rating: B+

This recipe was a component of a bison dish that I made when my parents visited. Making this glaze was quite simple. I cooked some shallots in butter, then stirred in frozen orange juice concentrate, water, sweet orange preserves, balsamic vinegar, salt, black peppercorns, and orange zest. I then simmered the glaze until it was thick. I liked this glaze quite a bit, and I thought it worked well in the bison dish (which I will blog about next). However, I think I would have liked it even better had the ingredients been balanced a little differently. I found that the balsamic was a little strong, and almost overpowered the nice orange flavors. Were I to make this again I would cut back on the balsamic just a bit.

The recipe is here.

Only 64 recipes left to go!

Well, I had hoped that the transition to my new medication would be relatively painless. Unfortunately it hasn't gone as smoothly as I had hoped. The first few days were OK, but the last few have been pretty miserable, as I have been pretty sick from the meds. Luckily for me, my special gentleman has been amazing. I can't drive (due to the dizziness) and I can't bike (due to the nausea), so when I absolutely need to leave my perch on the couch at home (e.g. to get blood drawn, or to teach my class this morning) he has been driving me door to door. Counterintuitively, it is essential to my battle with the nausea that I keep eating, and my special gentleman has been lovingly preparing me small meals every four hours. And when my brother-in-law and his wife, Brad and Deniz came to visit this weekend, my special gentleman cooked beautiful meals for them all weekend while I laid on the sofa. He has made more than one grocery trip for emergency supplies (Sprite, saltines, etc...). He has taken care of the cats, cleaned the house, done the laundry, etc, etc... Basically he has been awesome. And I have been lying on the couch. So although I have been feeling shitty, I have also been feeling extremely fortunate. Thank goodness for my special gentleman!

And hopefully my body will start adjusting to the new medicine soon and I will start feeling better!

No comments: