Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Garlic and Rosemary Jelly (Page 915)

RECIPE #1269

  • Date: Sunday, April 24, 2011 -- 1pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our House
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Helen, Charles, Clara, Emilee, Brian, Sam, Georgina, Bob M, Teri, Terry, Corbett, Mary, Allison, Kendra, Jubin, Watson, and Mark W
  • Recipe Rating: C-
The Book suggests this jelly as an accompaniment for lamb, so when I made lamb as part of our Easter dinner, I figured I would take the opportunity to make this jelly as well. The ingredients for this jelly: 2 cups total of liquid (white wine plus white wine vinegar), 15 garlic cloves, 4 rosemary sprigs, a pouch of pectin, and 3 and a half cups of sugar. That's a lot of sugar. I started by sterilizing some jars. Then I chopped the garlic and combined all the ingredients except the pectin. I boiled the mixture, then stirred in the pectin and boiled some more. I strained the jelly to separate the rosemary and garlic from the rest. I divided the rosemary and garlic between jars, then poured in the jelly. I sealed and processed the jars in a boiling water canner. This jelly was not delicious. Generally speaking I am a huge fan of sweet and savory combinations, but in this case it just did not work for me. The jelly was extremely sweet, jet garlicky. It also had a very non-uniform consistency, with the chopped garlic sinking to the bottom. I tried the jelly on its own. I also tried it with lamb. And I concluded that I couldn't think of one possible use for it. We still have several jars of it sitting in the cupboard, but I think they are going to find their way into the trash soon. This recipe was not good.

The recipe is here.

Only 24 recipes left to go!

I don't think I have ever in my life been quite so enamored with summer as I am this year. It is 9pm on a Wednesday evening. I worked hard today, and now I am sitting at the dining room table eating a raspberry truffle chocolate bar that Georgina gave me for my birthday in April. I am drinking white wine left over from Monday evening when some of my girlfriends came over. I have squab stock simmering on the stove and Lori McKenna playing loudly in the kitchen. The little kitty is curled up on the chair next to me and the big kitty is looking out the screen door. And I feel completely relaxed. I. Love. Summer.

This past weekend I had what may have been the perfect summer weekend. On Friday evening, after I got home from work, I took a two hour bath. I lounged in the bath tub, reading magazines and luxuriating. After my bath my special gentleman and I watched a terrible movie. It was great. Saturday I spent the day cooking from The Book. I made four recipes (which at this point is a pretty decent percentage of what I have left to make!). I cooked all day in a leisurely, no-stress fashion. In the evening we had a bunch of friends over to eat the results. We sat on the porch, eating turkey and not-eating tripe. The weather was perfect. After dinner we ate the best strawberry shortcake I have ever had (made by Helen!) and played board games. It was a lovely summer day. On Sunday we spent most of the day in the yard, weeding, pruning, talking to the neighbors. In the evening we walked over to the stadium on campus to see U2 in concert. The concert was great and the atmosphere was great. I ate concession stand food and danced through the whole concert. It was awesome. I didn't work at all this weekend. And more importantly, I didn't feel guilty about it. I worked very hard all through the academic year. I worked seven days a week nearly every week. So this summer if I take some weekends off I am choosing to do so without guilt!

The fantastic thing about summer is that without teaching there is a little more time in the day. Time to cook. Time to exercise. Time to take care of administrative things. Yesterday we had someone come out to the house to give us an estimate on the cost of putting on a roof deck. This morning before work we went to the bank to start the paperwork for refinancing from a 30-year to a 15-year mortgage. I am checking things off my To-Do list that have been there for months and it feels good! We are spending nearly all of July at home in Michigan and I have high hopes for the month. I am going to plow through both my work To-Do list and my non-work To-Do list. I am going to cook from The Book like a crazy person. I am going to exercise every day. And most importantly, in the evening if I feel like sitting around, sipping white wine and eating chocolate, that is what I am going to do. I love summer!

No comments: