Monday, July 11, 2011

Italian Fried Salt Cod (Page 50)

RECIPE #1270

  • Date: Saturday, June 25, 2011 -- 6pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our House
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Helen, Charles, Clara, Whitney, and Chris C.
  • Recipe Rating: B

The last time I tried to make this recipe there was no salt cod at the store. They told me it was "out of season," which cracked me up since it is dried and salted and therefore hardly something I think of as seasonal. Nonetheless I couldn't find it. Apparently it is salt cod season now though, because a couple weeks ago I stumbled upon some and snatched it up to make this recipe. This dish was quite simple. I soaked the salt cod for two days, changing the water often. Then I cut it into strips. I dipped the strips in a mixture of flour, salt, olive oil, water, and parsley, then deep-fried them until they were golden. I sprinkled them with sea salt and served! The result was... just OK. I prefer the texture of fried fresh fish to the texture of fried salt cod. The flavor of the salt cod was nice though. The ratio of ingredients for the batter seemed a bit off. As it was the batter was extremely thick, and consequently didn't coat the fish at all evenly. In the end, fish that has been battered and fried tastes good -- so this tasted pretty good. But there are certainly better recipes out there in that genre.

The recipe is here.

Only 23 recipes left to go!

I was running with Helen last Friday and we ran along a portion of a trail I used to frequent when I was marathon training almost two years ago. It brought back memories -- mostly bad ones. Marathon training was hard, and for the most part I do not remember it fondly. But there is one aspect of the training that I do really miss. I always did my long run of the week on either Saturday or Sunday morning. My special gentleman and I would often head out at the same time. We didn't run together (he is much faster than me!) but we would run the same trails and occasionally pass one another as we made loops around. As the runs got longer the training got more miserable, and I certainly have some bad memories of 16-20 mile runs that didn't feel too good. But the hours following the runs were so wonderful! I was exhausted. After a relaxing shower I would climb in bed and eat either Taco Bell, or macaroni and cheese from a box (salty, craveable food!). Then I would fall asleep in the middle of the day while my special gentleman watched terrible zombie movies next to me in bed. I was so physically spent that I felt not-at-all bad about sleeping away the early afternoon. There was no way I could have possibly done anything productive with that time. It was luxurious and I loved it. The exhaustion following a truly difficult workout is one of my favorite feelings.

I haven't felt that way in a while. It's not that don't exercise. I do. We have a treadmill in the basement and that thing gets a lot of use. I exercise, I just don't push myself very hard. So this summer I am adopting a new strategy: exercising with friends. I have been lifting weights and biking around town with my special gentleman, running with Helen, and yesterday I played in an ultimate frisbee game with a mix of undergrads, graduate students, and faculty. It's more fun to work out with other people and I push myself harder. It's a win-win! For the first time in a long time I am starting to feel like I am in pretty good shape. And I am sore. Constantly. I like the feeling of sore muscles, because then I know that I have indeed pushed myself. My return to fitness has definitely given me back some of that post-workout exhaustion that I enjoy. And there is nothing nicer than taking a little summer cat nap after a workout with two very sweet kitty cats to keep you company:


Now that I have successfully integrated exercise into my summer life, the next challenge is figuring out how to stick with it once the academic year starts again and I am much, much busier! For now, though, I won't worry about that.

6 comments:

Deb said...

You have to try this with the Himalayan pink salt from Sustainable Sourcing (here's their website: https://secure.sustainablesourcing.com so you can try it too!). Thanks for posting!

P.S. The key to maintaining your exercise schedule once school starts is to CONVINCE yourself that it's worth doing--as important as any other regular "appointment." Put it on your calendar.

Teena said...

Yes, I think you are right about making it a priority. If I make regular appointments to exercise with others I am likely to stick with it!

Katie said...

This is the first time I am ever commenting on this blog, but I have been a loyal reader for the last several years. It's dawning on me how close you are to finishing this project and I am feeling so unbelievably sad. I follow several "cook through" blogs, and this is by far my favorite. I appreciate that you remain consistent about your postings and that they are all well written and organized. I especially appreciate that the photos are well taken and sum up the dishes perfectly, as there are some truly sloppy photos out there on food blogs (hate to sound mean).

Will you continue to blog about your life, with or without food, after the project is finished?

Teena said...

Katie -- Thanks for your comment! I am so glad you enjoy the blog. I too am feeling a little sad that I am so close to the end of this project! I haven't decided yet whether or not I will keep blogging after I am done.

Karen said...

That looks like one cozy nap...I miss having cats...

Teena said...

Yes, napping with the kitties is the best!